infant carseat installation?

I Just got our carseat.. I followed the instructions. there were two options to securing it into the car. One was the Latch and the other was the seatbelt.... My Question is.. Is it okay to use both?

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 8:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• absolutely. We used both and that seat wouldn't move an inch.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• When installing put your weight in the base or the seat before pulling anything tight. If you get it adjusted with more weight then it will hold then you will be in good shape.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yes you can use both, however, the inspection seat guy told me that when they are tested they don't use both the latch and the seat belt. so theres no way of saying whether it'd be safer or possibly damaging. he suggested just using one method and sticking with that particular one. maybe call and have someone install it for you, they can show you the proper way and make sure its in there right and answer any other questions you may have.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It is NOT ok to use both LATCH and the seatbelt. The seat is only meant to take crash forces from one source. The seat was not tested using both systems and all the extra force from having two if you wreck could cause your car seat to fail.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I use both on mine.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I know you aren't a Dad but here is a great video. In it the give you a website that you can go to to find a child passanger safety technician to check your seat if you would like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wca-AqfD-LA
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• you might be able to get a certified inspector to help you out. we tried our darndest to get our seat in, then called the fire dept and they had a certified person look at it. he took it out and started all over, so it was in good. ;) then when we switched carseats they no longer had some one to do that, and we couldn't find anyone
    Anonymous

• We used both.
    Anonymous

• All the instructions I've looked at specifically say NOT to use both. Use one or the other, whichever one you can get the tightest fit with.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm with dragonridermd on this one, our books all said not to use both. One or the other, tightest fit. Check your town for a car seat inspection station and they can help you. Your birthing center may also have some information.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009