What does the national guard do?

I don't really know. I have a general idea but not quite sure. DH is consider joining and I would just like to know how deployment works, if they are, for how long? Do you live on base? Is the pay good? Simple basic questions. I would really appreciate any answers. I tried looking it up online but got confused and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My ex bf was in the Army National Guard and it was pretty much the same as the army except he wasnt stationed on a base. He went to basic training/ AIT for about 6 months. Then would do 1 weekend a month and got about $300 for a weekend and then 2 weeks a year somewhere. He was deployed to Iraq for 13 months. You get a GI bill which pays for college. The National Guard also is the first to respond to a national crisis such as floods etc. It is nice in the fact that they can still live at home and not on a base, you wont get stationed anywhere. But there are still deployments to war areas. Hope that answers some questions
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 21, 2009