when did u start ur maternity leave?

hi every1,

i'm almost 33 weeks pregant and am working full time.....i was just wondering when u stopped working while u were pregnant....and when u returned back to work after the birth if u were breast feeding?
was it just to financial reasons that u kept goin or was the pregnancy easy enough for you to work really late into the pregnancy
it's gotten difficult for me now and i am considering taking my leave in the next 2-3 weeks......
is it just me who finds it difficult to work full time until the end of pregnancy? or am i not the only one?

fay101

Asked by fay101 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was about 8 months along when I started maternity leave
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:19 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• i worked friday and my son was born monday. i was 40w4d on friday and 41w on monday. i couldn't really afford to take off earlier but also it wasn't really hard for me because i had a sit down desk job and i was feeling pretty good during my whole pregnancy. i went back to full time at about 3-4 mos, but started back at about 10 hours per week at 3 weeks, then maybe 20 hours per week at around 2 mos. i say if you can afford it and it's ok w/ your employer, and you are feeling overwhelmed or lousy, go ahead and take off. =)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I was due Nov. 24(Monday) and by Nov. 26(wednesday) I still hadnt had my son and at this point I was going to OB for pretty much daily visits, My OB said that if I didnt go into labor by the next monday Dec 1 that she was going to induce me. So knowing that I would be having the baby in a few days any way I started my Maternity leave Nov. 26. I spent the next few days making sure everything was just as I wanted it and tried to induce labor myself. Needless to say that didnt work and my Ob ended up inducing me anyway.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• With my first two I went on mat leave at about 8 months and with my last I went on mat leave at 38 weeks. The first time I was waitressing which I hated and was physically demanding so I stopped working about a month before I was due. The second I was working in the laundry of a hotel, again physically demanding, I didn't mind it, but it was just too much at the end. And the third time I was doing my job I have now - an educational assistant in a program for high school kids with special needs. It wasn't physically demanding and I really enjoy it, so I worked almost to the end. I wanted to be done at the end of a week so it would be easier for having a sub come in for the last few weeks of school. But it was also easier for me to leave earlier because as a Canadian I had a year of mat leave, so I knew I didn't have to go back early.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• With my first, I had a full-time job and every intention of working until labor. It was easy enough, but after a false alarm at 38 weeks, I felt was time. I also had every intention of breastfeeding, but that didn't work out, so I didn't have to worry about it at work...and then I got back from my leave and was laid off, so I got severance and to be a SAHM, which made me ecstatic.

With my second, I had a part-time job that I absolutely LOVED, and my pregnancy was physically harder on me. I originally said I would take my leave at 38 weeks like the first, then it got closer and we needed the money (and I really love my job), so I said 39 weeks, then 40 but the last couple I'd only work 4 hours a day (and even that was hard). But absolutely not after 40 weeks, lol. I ended up having the baby at 40 weeks exactly. And I breastfeed her, but I'm able to take her to work with me (again, LOVE my job, lol).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:47 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I worked until the day before I went into labor (a Saturday). I went back to work from home after two weeks, part time in the office after four weeks, full time in the office after 8 weeks. I breastfed until my daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• when i was pregnant with my son i worked in a nice department store that required wearing heels and standing 8-12 hours straight. i had an EXTREMELY rough pregnancy (nausea, kidney stones and around 7 months i got shin splints!) i stayed up until 4 days before i had my son because i needed the moeny but if i hadnt needed the money i would have left around 7 months when i started getting shin splints.
    maranda1389

Answer by maranda1389 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I am 37 weeks and have yet to start my leave. Though I had planned to work up till at least my due date I am going to be starting my leave in the middle of this next week, so I'll be 38 weeks. I would work longer but with horrible hip pains I've been having and how exhausting my job is (waitress) along with the fact that most of my co-workers suck and I have to do their job as well. I wish I could go longer because having that money would make it easier but you got to do what you go to do!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I worked until i went into labor, had been dialated to almost 4cm and having contractions for about a month so didnt realize i was actually in labor til after a finished my shift and realized the contractions werent going away
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 4:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009