How often do you grocery shop?

How do you keep your produce from going bad during that time?

My hubby is out to sea at the moment, so I am able to get two and a half weeks worth of food in one trip, but we love fresh fruits and veggies and my lettuce has already gone bad and my asparagus is on it's way.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 9:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I shop for produce once a week and only buy what I plan to use in the next 5 days.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I shop once a week.

Asparagus doesn't last long. Maybe go for longer lasting fresh vegetables. Apples keep a long time in the refrigerator. Carrots. Broccoli about a week. Lettuce will last up to two weeks- not the kind in bag- that lasts a very short time, but a head of romaine, or even iceberg- which is not very nutritious. My secret is to wrap the vegetable or lettuce in dry paper towels and put it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator crisper drawer. Celery will last almost two weeks this way. onions and potatoes in the refrigerator. Frozen vegetables are pretty good and I hear more nutritious than some fresh, since they are frozen soon after harvest. Bananas - once they turn ripe, refrigerate them, the skin turns black, but the banana is still good. oranges keep a good while refrigerated.

Answer by Bmat at 10:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I buy produce two or three times a week. I grocery shop every week or two.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I grocery shop once a month and then do little things when needed. I buy enough produce to last a couple of days and replinsh as needed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I buy produce about once a week.
    Other items I try to purchase every two weeks, unless I'm really low on something important.
    Anonymous

• Once a week except for milk and produce.That is twice a week.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Every sunday and if i want fresh stuff, i get it about twice a week.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009