Sleeping

I know that you aren't supposed to sleep on your back so i don't at least i don't think i do. I always go to sleep on my side but i always wake up on my back, how unsafe is it really for your baby i don't want to do any harm but i don't know how to not roll over on my back while i'm asleep well because i'm asleep... what do i do?

RCPerry511

Asked by RCPerry511 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wasnt ever told not to lay on my back because my doctor said when it gets to be uncomfy I'll just roll to my side.

Its really just too much if your leg starts to numb...if not and u feel comfy its okay
    Anonymous

• if its hurting you or the baby, it would wake you up. short of putting something next to you nightly that prevents you from rolling there isn't much you can do. with my first after about the 28 week mark i couldn't lay on my back and breath at the same time, so if i did roll onto my back the pressure woke me up, same with my second but it was around the 20 week mark.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Thanks alot ladies, i am 16 weeks with my second child but i seemed to gain more weight the first time so i really couldn't lay on my back, but i seem to be more comfortable that way this time around i just didn't want to cut off oxygen or circulation to the baby by doing so..
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Although it's best to sleep on your side, it most likely won't hurt your baby unless you sleep on a hard surface- like the floor (which I hope you aren't). The mattress of your bed is soft enough that it contours to your body in a way allowing blood to flow properly. When you are on a hard surface, like the floor you are literally FLAT on your back and that's when you need to worry about it. Usually the baby will kick and go crazy though if it's in any harm.
    Anonymous