Substitute teachers

I'm thinking of starting as a substitute teacher in gonzales louisiana. Can anyone share there experience of being a sub. I would like to see if I like it to decide if I want to become a teacher but I'm also nervous that as a sub the kids will not behave the same as they would normally. I would like to do primary schools.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I have subbed off and on for the past 4 years. Some classes are great, some are not so great. It really depends on the school and the teacher. I was majoring in Elementary Education but since I got the courage to sub at a last minute sub job for middle school, I fell in love with it. I have since changed my major and will be majoring in Secondary History. I think subbing is a great way to see if you would like to be a teacher. However, check with your school district to see what the qualifications are. In my area, you use to only have to have a H.S. diploma or GED. Now that there are so many students who have graduated and are waiting on jobs, they now require that you be certified unless you subbed last year. Good luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• In Chicago, substitute teachers have to be degreed and licensed.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have subbed in the past and love subbing, but I have my degree in secondary education. It definitely depends on the class/teacher so the first little while can be hard finding which teachers are good. In the schools around here you can get put on the "preferred sub" list for that school if you go there 2-3 times and then you get more calls.

Answer by missanc at 7:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2009