Swine Flu Cases Overestimated? (from CBS News)

What do you make of this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/21/cbsnews_investigates/main5404829.shtml

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 10:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That's exactly what my doc said. I thought I had the flu, too, but no.

I think the best question is, why is the CDC pushing this vaccine so hard?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I think its bs. In Austin seriously it is HORRIBLE. Pretty much everyone I know has had it. Its been really bad. We haven't yet. Knocking on wood!
    Anonymous

• Doesn't surprise me. They have no idea how many people have swine flu, how many have regular flu, and how many have really bad colds. If you add those who get the swine flu, never go to the doctor, and are fine in a couple of days, their mortality statistics would be even lower.

All we hear and see on the news are the people who become ill enough to end up in the hospital.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:37 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I am sick with something right now, but I don't feel sick enough to go to the Dr. and pay for a test to find out what it is. I am already getting better (slowly). Many of my symptoms are what people with H1N1 would experience. It's the nonstop headache that is about to drive me over the edge. Fever was only around for a couple of days, body aches are much better today, sore throat is still pretty bad (this is the first symptom I had) but I can deal with it. Chills are gone. Whatever I have isn't that bad, although I don't usually get sick so this is a change for me.

I could go sit in the ER to get tested and catch something worse in the waiting room. No thanks.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Hey, Quinn that sounds exactly like me!

I had a virus, but combined with a sinus infection that was causing the headache.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• really? I don't have the cough that everyone seems to complain about, and didn't get the a'hem digestive issues, but everything else on the list is what I have had.
    That really sucks. What did you take for the sinus infection?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Ugg...just one more thing that justifies my skepticism about the whole thing. My DD can't get the vaccine till November, but why should I make her get it if theres no way of knowing if there's even any people in my area who actually have it? What is the point to just assuming this horrible thing is everywhere and could possibly kill us all? It's getting freaking ridiculous!
    Anonymous

• I have something now. chills, ear pain, head ache. They say don't goto the hospital, tough it out. Stay home. So, I will never know. They knew this virus was going to hi in October, yet they couldn't get the vaccine out fast enough and only 25% will be released. If this was occuring under 'another' administration, I can't help but think there would be serious criticism on reaction time/readiness from Government.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Ohh and our local high school had over 190 absent. Apparently, 10 more and they would have cancelled school. Of course the Gov. took away all but calamity days statewide, so if climate change hits hard this year and they have to miss school for weather, the kids are screwed come summer time...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009