hairstylists are bad ??

I have plan on becoming a beautian when my kids get to school-age....i always assumed it was a really good job ( i live in a small town and the beautians are one of the highly paid people ) .....anyways....I was watching tv and a girl was like...i dont want to be a cab driver, i dont want to be a hairstylist...etc........that is like the 4th negative thing I heard this week about them...i just think it is weird...in bigger cities, is it not really a desirable career ?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 10:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i just realized I spelled beauticians wrong..sorry -- bad typer and speller
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Hi I am a hairstylist and product rep, it is all what you make it, and all what you put in to it! My father was a stylist and I am proud and happy to be one as well! Just so you know to make money you will have to work evenings and Saturdays, it is not a 9-5 job!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• well you start out working at super cuts or walmart then once you build up your regular clients you can try to move to a snazzy little salon. It takes a while to make any real money doing it. AND it's not like being a doctor, people don't NEED their hair done so there is always a chance you will have trouble finding work or get laid off.
    Anonymous

• It's a great rewarding job but like any other dealing with the public can be tricky. You won't get rich but I've been doing it for 24 years & never have been laid off or out of work. Even in bad times people still need a haircut.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:17 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I'm a stylist... I work casually as an assistant in my hairdresser's home business. She does mobile salon services specializing in weddings- I don't cut because my licensing process isn't complete yet but I do updos and things like that. I don't think it's a 'bad' career... it works for me because I can work evenings/weekends and be a SAHM during the week. Plus it lets me indulge my creative side and I find it kind of soothing to work with my hands. I plan to complete my licensing requirements once my youngest is in school. I'm not going to get rich doing it, but it's definitely a skill that I'm glad to have and want to develop further.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• I know in my HS it was the back up job for girls who couldn't get in to college, all the girls who got knocked up in their teens wound up training as hair dressers because it was something they could do on the side or do in their homes with their kids around. It wasn't like people looked down on them but it was more of a default career rather than something that people aspired too, KWIM? It's not something you're going to get rich doing but it tends to be a steady income and the hours are flexible so it's good for moms.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 11:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2009