I have a fever, Can i still BF?

I have had a fever off and on for the last couple days and have still been bf ing. I went to the dr and got antibotics i just wanted to know if i should still BF while having a fever? Will she catch what i have?

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should definitely keep breastfeeding....she's more likely to catch it if you stop. Your antibodies will go to baby via the breastmilk ...probably before you even started showing symptoms. Continue to breastfeed if you can but make sure you stay super hydrated! You need it for milk production and to help you fight the illness.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Yes you can.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's BEST to breastfeed while you are sick because you pass on the antibodies that you are making for the illness and give them to her through your breastmilk making it LESS likely she will get sick.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• Actually the best thing you can do to protect your baby from getting what you have is to BF him/her.... I got a nasty cold a few months ago and breastfed my DD extra and she never got sick.... whereas... I recently caught a similar cold off of her (that she prolly caught off one of her cousins)... she had the cold first and then I got started having the same exact symptoms 2 days later. If I would have been the one with the cold first, my milk would have protected her from getting it.... like my first example
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The BEST thing you can do is to nurse. You will be passing on some immunity of whatever you have that the LO could easily pick up. Check the antibiotics the doc prescribed though at www.kellymom.com and make sure they are safe. if not then stop taking them and call the doc up and ask for something that is. Any time you go to the doc while nursing make sure you remind them that you are still nursing and need something okay while nursing. They often forget even if they see the kids too and/or have it written in your chart. I got a terrible stomach flu when my first was about 4 months old. I could hardly hold my head up and DH took care of LO for 2 whole days. I woke up long enough to nurse the child whenever DH brought him into me and that was it. DH ended up getting it too, but LO never got it!!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The best thing you can do is to continue nursing and if you have older children you should pump and give it to them, the breast milk contains antibodies that will help protect them. I assume that you checked if the antibiotics are safe to use while breastfeeding?
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2009