1yr old and time out?

I know it a minute per his years in age...But hes one and I don't think he understands whats going on. Mainly because he goes back and does it again. The only way he listens is if I'm mean about it (you know that loudish deep man voice all moms get when they get serious...). Then I feel bad about it once I step back and think about what happened and how little it actually was. But either way he needs to understand that some things just aren't allowed- regaurdless of how big or small they seem...ya know?
How can I do this with him being so young? He's 18 months if you go by months.

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:21 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started time outs with Max at 16 months... now, he;s 23 months and lately been getting more and sings in there and talks and laughs so I am not sure he's "getting" that its a punishment but it gets him away from what he's doing that I don't want him to do and usually he gets up and runs to do it again, then goes right back in time out - I do it the nanny 911 / super nanny way - My mom thinks it works best around age 3 and 4 but i dont' think it hurts to start it now and eventually like everything, being consistant will make it easier when they are 3 and 4...maybe...haha
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Try telling him what you want him to do, instead of what you don't want him to do. i.e. if you want him to stop running around, tell him, "sit on your bottom," instead of, "stop running". Then you have to show him, gently sit him down. Use as few words as possible and follow though. I used time outs on my dd when she was one, but i'm taking early childhood education classes, I wish I knew then what I know now. Time outs aren't developmentally appropriate for a 1 year old.
    mom2emily

Answer by mom2emily at 11:33 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• What I do with my daughter (and have done with her since she was 11 months old - she is now 17months) is this:

I tell her no and try to redirect her.

If she does it again, I tell her no again and try to redirect her.

I tell her no, pop her on the hand, and then I take her to her room and set her in the middle of the floor. I walk away. Usually she stays and throws her fit in there and when she is done she comes out. (if she immediately follows me out of her room I tell her no, and put her back in her room. At no point do I lock her in there in any form).

SIDE NOTE: When I "pop" her on the hand it is usually a tap with one finger, not a full fledged slap on the hand.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• The kicker is that when I say "Gauge, no." He started his hissy fit- so I KNOW he knows that he is not allowed to be doing x, y, z...Ya know?
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009