Is RAPE a pre-existing condition? or just reporting it?

Christina Turner feared that she might have been sexually assaulted after two men slipped her a knockout drug. She thought she was taking proper precautions when her doctor prescribed a month's worth of anti-AIDS medicine.

Only later did she learn that she had made herself all but uninsurable.

Turner had let the men buy her drinks at a bar in Fort Lauderdale. The next thing she knew, she said, she was lying on a roadside with cuts and bruises that indicated she had been raped. She never developed an HIV infection. But months later, when she lost her health insurance and sought new coverage, she ran into a problem.
Turner, 45, who used to be a health insurance underwriter herself, said the insurance companies examined her health records. Even after she explained the assault, the insurers would not sell her a policy because the HIV medication raised too many health questions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/21/insurance-companies-rape-_n_328708.html
    Anonymous

• Well, it was believable and appalling until I saw your source.  Huffington Post is about as reliable as a comic book.  Just B.S. from the liberal left trying to push their agenda.

Anonymous

• HP is your source? Ha ha!! Suuuuurrrrrreeee and doctors are cuttting off people feet by the dozen just to make a couple of extra bucks!! lol
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• yep, you lost me with the Huffington Post.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Yep, and apparently so is being the victim of domestic violence. Or being a chubby baby, or a slim baby, or pretty much anything else they can think of. Had a papercut once 18 years ago...sorry! It's disgusting and it needs to change.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Wow. So because HP reports it, it cannot be true? Actually, HP reported this on 10/21, the day after Turner spoke at the National Women's Law Center. I found this at another source as well. The NWLC does have an agenda - and freely admits it. I read over their site, and as a woman, did not find it offensive.

Currently, DC, Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming all have loopholes that allow ins cos to deny dv/rape victims coverage. In Colorado, there are ins co who routinely deny women who have had C sections.

From the NWLC site:
    Chris Turner, a health insurance agent from Tampa Florida, and a rape survivor, was the person asking the question. Chris spoke of her survival story at the National Women’s Law Center launch of the “Being A Woman Is Not A Pre-Existing Condition” campaign early this morning.

http://www.womenstake.org/
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It's just like back in the day when I used to get into screaming arguments with Pops over why it was so unfair that the ins co (we had the same one) would not pay for my BC pills, but they paid for his Viagra without a peep of protest. (Sorry Pops....)

They both involve sex. They both involve voluntary action on the part of the insured. But one is acceptable (the man wanting to have sex) and one is not (the woman wanting to have no souveniers of sex). Women have never been treated equally in regards to ins coverage.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• At least they didn't completely exclude her like they could have. They told her they might reconsider in three or more if she could prove that she was still AIDS-free. I think all the Pre existing conditions is crap and some companies take it too far. But gov run health care (medicare) Denies treatment for "pre-existing conditions" too. See my link below.

http://www.medicare.gov/medigap/prex.asp

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• How freakin' generous of them.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 8:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I'm curious, is taking an anti-AIDS drug normal after getting raped? I've never heard of that before. The OB/GYN office I worked for never prescribed it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009