Stripping Insurance industry of anti-trust exemption, good ?

WASHINGTON — Democrats launched a drive at both ends of the Capitol on Wednesday to strip the insurance industry of its decades-old exemption from federal antitrust laws, part of an increasingly bare-knuckled struggle over landmark health care legislation sought by President Barack Obama.

If enacted, the change would put an end to "price-fixing, bid-rigging and market allocation in the health and medical malpractice" insurance areas, said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Leahy said he would seek a vote on the plan when the Senate

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course, it should have never been exempt! I have been hearing a lot lately about insurance monopolies that are costing consumers because of the lack of competition. I'm too lazy to look it up, they had a discussion on NPR this morning that was talking about it.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• It's called revenge by this Democratic government.
    Anonymous

• I have to read up on this to have an opinion.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• this whole insurance talk confuses the hell out of me..first its one thing then its another
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think it is nothing but good. For years, the insurance industry used a company called Ingenix, who touts themselves as "A health care information and research company providing a line of clinical and cost management solutions." Sounds nice, right?

Ingenix is owned by United Health Groups, which has, over the last 5 years paid out 20 mil+ to settle state suits against them for fraud.

They need to be policed by someone other than themselves, because this whole thing shows me that they will blatantly cheat us, the people who pay, in any way possible. They should have never been exempt in the first place.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2009/07/13/bisb0713.htm

The above is the link for the connection and subsequent legal action against United and others for their use of Ingenix.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• OH yeah, it's really bad here in Alabama. We really only have "one" insurance company here, blue cross blue shield. And they charge out the wazoo. They have no competition. Hell many of the medical offices and hospitals take ONLY BCBS (excluding pa of course).
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Forgot to add, Ingenix was the company that set the standards for I think 10 different companies on what they would allow for payment with out of network providers. A lot of the state lawsuits with United revolved around the fact they routinely underpaid their providers, based of course on Ingenix's recommedations. It was during the NY investigation this came out. I remember seeing this on the news and being speechless that this was allowed.

Talk about the fox guarding the damn henhouse.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Ok, so If I am reading this correctly, and I think I am, the antitrust laws are what keep them from competing state to state. This has long been a pin platform so I can't see it garnering much ire. Now, I would be opposed somewhere in the middle of the bill they set aside funds for cash for kicks program, where every American could get a refund on a ourchar of leboutin heels, or something equally amusingly and horrifyingly ridiculous.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• That funny word should be pair.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The only thing I've heard on this anti-trust issue is that since 1945 the insurance industry has been exempt from the same rules and regulations other industries are required to follow. An example of this is that they are allowed to meet and agree on prices,. coverage,, etc. If they all agree then that leaves no room for competition.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2009