What do you think our boys fought for at Omaha beach?

WW11 Veteran makes his case for gay marriage...

I am here today because of a conversation I had last June when I was voting. A woman at my polling place asked me, "Do you believe in equal, equality for gay and lesbian people?" I was pretty surprised to be asked a question like that. It made no sense to me. Finally I asked her, "What do you think our boys fought for at Omaha Beach?" I haven't seen much, so much blood and guts, so much suffering, much sacrifice. For what? For freedom and equality. These are the values that give America a great nation, one worth dying for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEbJBFWIPk&feature=player_embedded

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is a good story and a good point for equal rights! and LOL @ anon. Get a life, stop being a vag, and don't say anything unless you are willing to be public about it. It's that simple.

And Sweet, keep fighting for equal rights. The cause needs more people like you.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Philip Spooner is a lifetime Republican, World War II veteran and, to everyone's surprise, a gay marriage supporter. The 86-year-old gave a heartfelt speech in support of gay marriage to Maine's Judiciary Committee back in April, and the video has just now become an internet hit.

Spooner's voice wavers often as he weaves his own life story into the speech, using his experience as a soldier as his main defense for gay marriage. He lists his accomplishments in the war, among them serving in Patton's Third Army and carrying POWs back home, making it clear that he's a true American -- and according to Spooner, there's nothing more American than fighting for equality.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2009

• 89 and senile
    Anonymous

• OH MY FLIPPING GOD will you gay activist pushers let it go? This is the what 900th post about gay rightsin like 2 weeks. Seriously Its getting disguisting to watch this day after day after day. What part of not cramming this down people's throat don't you get? You want equal rights. Cool go fight for it. But stop freaking push it day and night here. GRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• So the anonymous has a flipping god. If you are going to make comments like that, haven't you the courage to put your name to it ?
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• lol janet ....So the anonymous has a flipping god
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• What a refreshing sentiment. Good for Phil for speaking out.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 1:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I got a even better idea..TAKE it to GOD. Hey if he approve's of the lifestyle it will not be a problem, and whaaaaaa pppaaaa equal rights for the lesbians and gays. Now I know its a queer notion, but who has the power. Not You that's for sure, cuz your beating a dead horse here with this day and nite rallie you have going on here on CM. Now think about it, and PRAY. There Problem Solved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• God loves gays! He told me!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Nobody said he didn't. Whats your point Tashwitz? Dredging more Drama der? I like the Take it to GOD sentiment. I think thats a awesome point. Unless you have a problem with his judgement that is.
    WhoCares224

Answer by WhoCares224 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2009