when to worry?

My 4 year old son had RSV several times before he was 3; and so we always monitor him very closely when he gets a cold. We give medicine for cough, put vick's on the chest (feet also and then put socks on), and run a humidifier in his room; we even have a nebulizer with medication if he needs it. My question is when do we worry about him having the swine flu, I don't want to be one of those people who panic every time their child coughs; but how do you know ? From what I've read about it, there's muscle aches associated with it, but how do you know if your child's muscles are achy- does a 4 yr old know how to tell you that? If his cough is persistant through the morning hours tomorrow, I will take him to his dr; his cough is usually worse at night when the phlegm settles into his chest. Thank you.

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 11:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Health

• Hi!
    My son was a preemie and has always had lung issues. We also do breathing treatments (when needed) and also all that other jazz. My son got H1N1 this summer in August during the summer outbreak. We survived ;}
    That said it was a rough patch took him over 2 weeks to fully recover, but there are things that your doctor can give you to lessen the symptoms and when you have a sensitive child on your hands it counts. The medication we were given was Tamiflu (phonetically spelled not sure if accurate but sound it out and that is it :) it worked wonders. However, just make sure you get him in RIGHT AWAY as it does not work after the flu is in full swing. My son did need breathing treatments for about 4-5 days but every 6 hours (not like when he has RSV that was every 4) I would get him the shot if you can. Also we try to lessen his contact with people during flu season just because it is harder on these guys.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 12:11 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Good luck Mama I know how hard it is and you got a calm head on your shoulders which helps but again it can be dizzying when you see your child’s face behind a nebulizer mask I know. That said, it does make us more prone to worry. I would just wait and see, he sounds like he is fairing fine. Oh and also I had it to the next day after my son got it and I did not have muscle cramps. Just watch him and you’ll know when it is time. I wish you the best *hugs*
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 12:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009