A whole family divorces... do you find this odd???

My ex husband is the second oldest out of four (two boys, two girls - that's how the ages go also). We divorced, and in that same year his brother got divorced, his sister got divorced, his parents got divorced and his baby sister just got separated. I find this so odd. I have never heard of a WHOLE family getting divorced. My ex always said there was something wrong with me, and after all this, I don't think it's me or ever was me... I just think their family is well... f***ed. Not only that, my ex and his brother are engaged (divorce is not 6mo old) His sister and father are re-married. What are your thoughts on this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• No clue. Shit happens sometimes at the same time. I doubt your divorce was all your ex's fault either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Well, everyone needs a hobby. It just sucks that their hobby has to hurt so many people in the process. Give it time, they will be divorced shortly and it will continue until someone else figures out the path. You just need to sit back and watch the show knowing that it is going to go downhill shortly.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It's actually not surprising.

My husband's parents divorced. My FIL actually divorced THREE times! Three different women.

MIL divorced twice.

SIL divorced once and is on her second marriage.

BIL #1 never married anyone.

DH divorced once.

BIL #2 is the only one without a divorce in his history.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It does seem to run in families. But maybe they all just realized that life is to short to not be with someone whom they are in love with. They could have also realized that it wasn't the end of the world and their family would be okay with the decision. It doesn't mean something is inherently wrong with them, but more like, they can't believe in the happy ending and or know how much work goes into a marriage.

My DH came from a broken home, it was easy for him, when we were having issues, to throw out the D word. It was hugely difficult for me to even think about. I was surrounded by long term and most importantly, happy marriages. I had to teach my husband what unconditional love meant. He knows what it means as a parent, but he didn't know what it meant as a husband. Just make sure you don't disregard his opinion on your marriage because of this, that was one mistake I made. But now we are doing great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2009