If I get sick, with the flu or a sinus infection, anything, what medicine can I take while breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anything Tylenol.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Oh. Antibiotics are safe too. And Tamiflu if you get to this point.

MOST meds are completely safe.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• sudafed, aprin products are the only thing safe other than what doc prescribes!!! what ever you could take or couldn't take durring pregnancy applies to breast feeding. while the body does break down the bad stuff before it enters the milk, not all of it is filtered; so meds stil enter into the milk.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• sudafed is not recommended for nursing moms because anything that dries up the sinuses can dry up the milk. it is safe to pass through the milk to baby, but could decrease your supply. Pregnancy and breastfeeding are not the same. Check out www.kellymom.com for a good list of nursing and pregnancy safe drugs. not everything the doc prescribes is safe while nursing (including some antibiotics) and some docs just don't care to check or even know the mom is nursing so be careful. Personally I do nasal flushes and if it gets really bad I take half doses of sudafed. I also take extra vit c and echinacea to boost my immune system. hot tea with peppermint helps to clear the sinuses out and also just sniffing some horse radish or something like that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2009