Why is my husband suddenly incontinent? TMI

Okay so this is really strange but the night before last my husband and I were sleeping and I woke up and noticed he was wet under him. He was in this dead sleep and was really hard to wake up. Well he peed the bed. I thought it was weird cause this has never happened to him before and I know he had to be embarrassed so I didnt say much but last night he was snoring really loud and I asked him if he would sleep on the couch so I could sleep because I had to get up early for school. Well when I got up the next morning and he was back in the bed but the couch was soaked. He peed on the couch and wasnt even awake enough to notice and got back in the bed. I am frustrated and grossed out but I am really concerned also. This has never ever been an issue for him. What in the world can make a person sleep so heavily that they would not notice this????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Health

• It's very possible that he's just in such deep sleep that he can't control his bladder/doesn't notice the wetness. See, if you can, whether he's had any dreams about bathrooms. Sometimes that's a pre-cursor to needing to go. It was for me and I wet the bed for a looong time (not into adulthood, though.) Try to restrict his liquid intake a couple hours before he goes to bed (that is...if you have any say in the matter.)
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 12:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Is he on any medications? That would be my very first thought. Definitely see the doctor for this.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I had a situation up until the time I was 17 I would wet the bed...not every night but on nights where I slept deeply

I would always dream about going to the bathroom in some way before I actually would wet the bed.

I eventually caught onto this so after a while I got to the point where I knew if I was having one of these dreams I would wake myself up

also I tried, but it didnt really work for me, was I set an alarm clock just before REM sleep..so for about 3 hours after I went to bed. and it worked for a while until my other...sleep walking problem kicked in and I would pick the alarm clock up and throw it or walk it into another room
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Does he have sleep apena? I've read that sometimes it can cause bedwetting because of how deep a sleep the person gets into.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Is he drinking alcohol?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I believe he does have sleep apnea. The first night he did it he did have a few beers that evening but it has never ever been a problem before. He did it again last night. I couldnt even wake him up to get him out of bed to tell him it had happened. It took me nearly 20 minutes of shaking him to get him up. I am sooo worried about him. I am scared to death something is really wrong with him.
    Anonymous

• prostate problems, bladder infection was he drinking?
    sunflower39346

Answer by sunflower39346 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Get checked for sleep apnea, then have him get tested for an enlarged prostate. Time to see a doctor/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2009