Can someone help give me different techniques on how to discipline an ADHD Child?

jenna29

Asked by jenna29 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• With a lot of love and understanding. It is really hard, you have to work with them at their level. Sometimes it helps to say what you feel, “like it hurts me when” or “I get upset/sad at that behavior” always follow up with I love you and that it’s not them directly. Also they cannot be permitted to use ADD or ADHD as a crutch for misbehaving. There are great therapists out there that are great in this field. It is frustrating allow yourself that, and know it is ten time more frustrating for them. *hugs*
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 12:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Honestly, there are so many different answers to your question. If you'd like to message me a bit more of the specifics, I can see what I can advise you with. I have an almost 11 year old with ADHD and ODD so I have experience. I also have several CM friends who have children with ADHD and at least one friend with a son with Autism. Feel free to message me. You are not alone. There is a website I use called childzilla dot com. It is where you can go for an online charting and points earning to allow the child to play an online game or to earn points towards an agreed upon goal that you and the child would set. Let me know if you'd like more information. Take care.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Get and read the book, "1 2 3 It's Magic". It is a common sense approach to discipline that takes teh emotion out of discipline and puts the decisions and consequences in the child's hands. It works amazingly well, even on kids with ADHD. My son is ADHD and you cannot expect instant results, you need to give constant reminders, and I mean constant. Don't nag, be patient and understanding. Take your child to a counselor that works with kids with ADHD and have them teach behavior modification techniques. It may help with behavior issues, but the memory and organization will be a lifelong, ongoing issue. Don't let him use ADHD as an excuse for poor behavior because it is not an excuse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• well my ADHD child gets treated the same way as my other child. Same discipline and same punishments. No different treatment.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I agree with tyfry. My son is ADHD and he requires constant reminders. And I do mean constant. He is very easily distracted. Now that he is 17, I find that he does very well if I leave him a list. He likes the feeling of accomplishment of doing things himself from the list and crossing them off without feeling like I am nagging him.

lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 12:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My 12 yr. old son has ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. You have to be patient and consistent. I put up reminders for him because organization & time management are so hard. In the bathroom I have a list for the morning. 1 Take meds 2 Wash face. 3. Brush teeth. 4 Put on deodorant.. 5. Get dressed. 6 Put on shoes. I also set a timer so that he has a visual reminder or he would take all day to get dressed. If the timer goes off and he's not dressed... no TV for the day! He's not able to use the excuse that he has ADHD to get out of trouble. He also has a homework sheet for school & he has to write down every assignment and have the teacher check it before he leaves class because he can't remember the assignments any other way.
    portercreeksis

Answer by portercreeksis at 3:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2009

• Ok sounds crazy but we use the refrigerator as a dry erase board for chores and a behavioral chart. He gets to write out his chore list everyday and check it off as he goes. He also fills/or takes from his rewards chart. That way he knows exactly were he stands. I agree adhd should never be used as an excuse. Most of the adhd children i've been around including my own are creative, and smart they just see the world at a faster pace then we do!
    toyh

Answer by toyh at 6:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2009