A climbing two year old

Does anyone know how to keep my 2 year old daughter from climbing everything without her getting injured or having to be spanked/time outs? I am trying to do my best with Hailie when it comes to climbing everything but she is to quick for me and the fact that I'm just about 16 weeks prego.. Please moms I need some help.

mom2hailie

Asked by mom2hailie at 12:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you have established the meaning of getting a "boo-boo" all youneed to do is that moomy doesn't want you doing that because you could get a boo-boo. my dd that's going to be 6 next month was always a climber! its hard to break them out of their natural drive for curiousity!!! try distracting her with noisy and colorful toys. aerosaucers, blocks, standing stations,ect have worked best for my buisy bees. we all are afraid of them getting hurt, and for good reason, but don't let it over empowe her need and want to explore the world around her. get gates for the stairs(if you don't have them), just so you know where she is and can keep more watchful eye on her.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If you feel she won't stay in time out you can safely buckle her in a stroller or a carseat(as long as she can't tip either over if she gets moving in it). And then try to redirect her to something else. TV, drawing etc. My best approach is out of site out of mind. I caution you though, DO NOT put something out of site if you little one is watching you put it out of reach and out of site because then it's a personal challenge for her to go after the item you are trying to keep her away from. Do your best to secure things so she can't pull them down on top of herself if she's going to persist in climbing. Remind her that if she does this she might get an owie, boo-boo or what ever term it is she seems to relate to pain. My daughter pinched her finger in a drawer one day and said Mommy Owie!! then she kissed it herself (she'll be 3 yrs/Feb 1.) So it is kind of feeling out how your daughter is. Maybe earn a sticker for no climb.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I love the sound advice but this child is fearless. I mean just yesterday Hailie climbed our six foot fence , yeah I know hard to believe a two year old doing that. I thought that myself. We have pretty much locked down the house, we locked down the over, fridge, the doors, and even installed a gate for her room. But Hailie is a climber, we have tried time outs and an occasional spanking. I'm sure other moms have faced this problem, I'm just trying to break it before this other little one is born.
    mom2hailie

Answer by mom2hailie at 1:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The only thing I can say is let her climb! But safely. Pile couch cushions on the floor, take her to the park and let her climb the slides and playscapes. Give her an outlet! I would also tell her before a climbing activity, "You are allowed to climb all over these cushions but that's it. No other climbing," and enforce that. When she climbs something else, redirect her to the cushions. A futon is another great thing for toddlers to climb on. Just lay it out and let her climb up and down. Just make sure there's no jumping. Good luck! HTH
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2009