How do I punish my 12month old daughter?

My daughter will be one on sat.10-24. and she gets in these moods wher she deceides that she is going to be a lil butt hole. if we are shopping shr'll be fine then all of a sudden the whole damn world is coming to an end if uyou dont carrie her. or when daddy comes around if he does not stop everything hes doing to pick her up, (and i dont mean just for a minute to say hi, NO for like the rest of the day. please dont get me wrong we love her, but she is heavey. to heavey to carrie around all damn day.

ang_n_hailey

Asked by ang_n_hailey at 12:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well you can't really punish a 1 year old. They are still learning. Just try to teach her no and you can't be held all the time.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You can redirect her. Distraction seems to work well with my daughter. She'll be 3yrs on Feb. 1. I take snacks with. If she is leaning towards the I want to be carried phase, I tell her ride in the cart have a snack. Buckle up for safety has been or day one motto. Other things that work well for us is if she is in that state, I get her stroller out and use that when I go shopping, give her a blanket and stroll on in to the store. As far as clinging on to you, rule out a few things. Like teething....when my kids were in the teething stage they would be on me like glue. Try different things to distract her or to show her you aren't going anywhere. Going to the car? She's afraid she's going to be left behind? Give her a special key that you say, Mommy can't go without the key, you hold it for me. Wait til the last minute to put on your coat and shoes. Talk things out, don't always give in. Stick to your habits. (cont)
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Reassure her you are taking her with. If you are a stay at home mom and she stays home with you all day. She could be experiencing separation anxiety. That is a normal developmental milestone. If she isn't able to speak to you with words yet, consider using baby sign language for simple words, like: more, milk, eat, sleep, water, drink. things like that. We also use resources like the one grocery store now gives out free apples to kids. Most grocery stores in my area give out a free cookie. So it's sit in the cart let Grandma push you and you can have an apple. Other things to do is make sure she is getting the naps that she needs. I know my daughter is the worst without her naps. Like she is hyper and wired. The minute she hits her pillow and decides to sleep she crashes hard. Hope this info helps you out. Keep your chin up. Get time to yourself, even if it's only at her nap times.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You can't punish, because she won't understand. She WILL understand when her tantrum gets her nowhere. You DO NOT indulge, and remain utterly unmoved. Let her scream.

I rather like the Dr. Phil method...melt into the crowd, shake your head and tsk-tsk. Just don't wander off. You're right there, you're not walking away. You're merely not giving in on this one.

If she was YOUNGER than a year, and not mobile, I'd say pick her up. But at this point you can just let her have her fit. After an episode or two she'll give it up.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It is absolutely impossible not get frusterated with any child who is acting up at some point. No mother, that includes you miss wanna be mother of the year, mom2haile, can have 100% patience at all times with a child who knows what buttons to push to make mommy pay attention. My daughter who is 13 months, also loves to use her voice in the store. She hollers like she is trying to hit some Mariah Carey notes. She will cry like she is being attacked by the shopping cart. She can be extremely dramitic. What I have learned in these past 13 months, is that she can cry and holler all she wants, but she will not get her way by behaving like that. I don't care who looks at me. I let her holler. I give her a toy or my keys or whatever is handy when she starts calming down. This does not always work, but most the time it does. Any type of distraction helps. Eventually they learn
    lilcarly

Answer by lilcarly at 2:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• this is to all who have read and answered my question. 1st THANKS for taking the time and giving me the advicw that you have. and this is to anyone that may have missunderstood my question. after posting it and then rereading it, i realized that i used the WRONG choice of words. its been a long day, week, month, ect...and it was very late. so if anyone out there thinks that i was taking it to the extreams... I'M NOT!!! i was just looking for a lil insight. thanks again, ang n hailey
    ang_n_hailey

Answer by ang_n_hailey at 12:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2009