What happens if you eat the "choke" of an artichoke??

I mean the hair and all. I didn't know that the insides couldnt be eaten. I ate the bottom of the leaves and the whole choke. Then I looked up how to eat an artichoke and now im worried that I ate it. So what will happen..? im also 31 weeks pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know. I always think that they are more trouble than they are worth (like a pomegranate...) Look it up on Wikipedia, etc- if it is poisionous or anything it will say. Don't worry though- i'm sure it is probably okay.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Artichokes aren't poisonous. The choke has spiney pieces on the points, that can be hard to swallow. These must of been young ones. If you had no trouble swallowing them, I think you will be ok. Older artichocks are pretty spiney and you wouldn't have been able to swallow the tips. If you only ate the bottoms of the leaves and the bottoms of the choke don't even worry about it. So you ate the leaves, and choke, did you know to eat the bottom? that is the piece of the vegtable left. That is the premium peice of the artichoke! it has all the goodness of the artichoke without all the work!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2009