Anyone else have an empathic toddler?

My daughter will be 3 years on Feb. 1st. She is the most empathic toddler I have ever seen. (Empathic means showing sympathy for others.) She had a fly hit her in the head the other day and she said sorry fly. She watches shows on tv and if she sees someone being chased she yells RUN. Yesterday she was watching Phineas and Ferb with her Daddy and she yelled RUN MONKEY RUN!! because the pink flowing lava stuff was coming after them. She doesn't like scarey shows she tells me about them. Like Mama, Casper scared. So it's probably a good thing that I don't really want to go trick or treating this year. But I also have a son who will be 11 yrs on Feb 18 so we shall see.
So, do you have an empathic toddler? One who says sorry even when not prompted to do so? One that will kiss their own boo-boo? I can't wait to read replies. (We don't watch scarey things with her, we change the channel when she gets upset.)

babygoose78

Asked by babygoose78 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal for her age. Children begin to show empathy around age 2.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• aww, my son is so rough, i dont think he cares if he pokes someones eye out by mistake, lol. but your little girl sound adorable. my dd was like that but only with daddy, if he said ow, she had to kiss it and make it better.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My dd was like that. She's 7 and still the same. It's wierd she never breaks rules or lies. She does all chores and homework without being prompted.She is hyper aware of others to the point she gets upset at normal rule bending behaviors. It's almost like a twilight zone creepy good. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• SYMPATHETIC yes, EMPATHETIC no. Way too young to know anything about empathy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• both my little ones are like that, but that is how i am raising them. even if they tear a leave off a bush, they must say sorry. I know that it is a little extreme, but they are 2 and 3 right now, and i hope that when they are 9 and 10, they will at least be kind to their classmates, and not be the bullies we see at the playground. they even try to say sorry to the ones that hurt them, which i am trying to work on of course. but consider yourself blessed and give yourself a pat on the back, it is a learned attribute. as for the tv thing, yes they do that too! we just tell them that tv is not real, and it is for fun... hope this helps!
    currinmom

Answer by currinmom at 2:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• What you're seeing are normal reactions.

I, on the other hand, have a preschooler who cries when a cartoon character cries, will describe exactly how the character is "feeling" and takes a good 5-10 minutes to console even after the situation on TV is solved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009