Bottle breaking!!!

I know its bad but my 26-month-old son still wants a bottle before his nap and another at bedtime. If we don't give it to him, he doesn't go to sleep at all. He uses a cup during the day for juice but he uses the bottle for milk to fall sleep? I could really use some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make sure he has his needs. Give him the milk in a sippy cup or a sport bottle anything but a regular baby bottle. Put only water in the baby bottle. After awhile he will catch on that all he's going to get in the baby bottle is water. Try to find something else he can use for comfort. A blanket or a stuffy. I caution you if you do the blanket try like a soft receiving blanket that you have more then one of, that way if it gets dirty you can swap it out so he don't notice. Just keep working with the sippy cups. Have him drink the milk before bed, then try to change his bedtime routine to get the bottle away. Like reading a book, playing music softly in his room. I myself, never put my children to bed with a bottle so I can't say for certain these things will work, but it's worth a try. Use words like you're a big boy now. Offer a sippy cup of water. Put it in the corner of the crib at night and tell him it's there if he needs
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• just take it away. You'll go through a couple days of hell. but i promise your son WILL sleep at some point. ....just take it away and don't give in!

And letting your child fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth with milk in it can cause bottle rot. So, ...i really hope that when you say "uses the bottle for milk to fall asleep" that you don't mean he falls a sleep with it in his mouth.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Be a parent and stop giving it to him. Stop putting juice in his cup (they're only supposed to have 8oz per day anyway) and put milk in his cup until he drinks from it. (and he will without going thirsty)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Only put the milk in the cup.
    Kids are not stupid, if he is that thirsty he will drink it, if he is that tired he will sleep.
    I simply quit giving my daughter a bottle. I made sure she ate plenty before bed so I knew she didnt want a bottle for hunger and then she could only cry so long with a full belly before she fell asleep without the stupid bottle.
    Its the binky Im having trouble with!!!!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• When we broke my DD was threw all the bottles away. That way we wouldn't be tempted to give in to her after she cried for a little while. It only took about 3 days and then she just started going to sleep on her own without a cup. But those three days were pretty bad. Since your baby has had this habit for so much longer it might take more than a few days though. It's just something you have to decide to do and then stick to it no matter what. Giving in now will only make it worse imo.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2009