Is $200 per hour high, low or jsut right for a lawyer?

I found a lawyer, but I have no idea what kind of price range it should be at. We are trying to get my dh's ex to do a DNA test to see if her son is my dh's, if that helps any.

zackaroosmom

Asked by zackaroosmom at 1:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• How much a lawyer charges varies a lot. It depends on where you live, how good the lawyer is, how long he/she has been in practice and their speciality. Call around to other family law attorneys and ask their hourly rates.

Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 1:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It sounds about right in SoCal. But call around.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• It sounds about right. Go to the court clerk's office and the child support office; you may be able to have the testing court-ordered without a lawyer.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• You should be able to get a court order for DNA without an attorney, but the price sounds about right for around here.

Answer by missanc at 7:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Prepaid Legal has legal membership plans ck us out talk to a lawyer 24 hrs a day & more
    26.95 a month
    www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/crystalpalyo
    angeleyes31376

Answer by angeleyes31376 at 8:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Wondered how long it would take for one of Pre Paid Legals lackys to get on here. They are scam by the way. My sister paid her fee and when she needed help found there were no attorneys in her area that were a part of this. She could not get her money back and the person who scammed her had changed their number.

I would think 200 an hour would be fine in SoCal. Do as much of the leg work as you can to keep your fees down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• With all due respect, I have the Prepaid Legal Service. It is most certainly not a scam (no I do not sell memberships). I have called regarding several legal matters and their advice has saved me more than $1500 in various legal fees over the past two years. They call back quickly and are very helpful.
    Anonymous