anything other then an epidural?

iam so scared of needles and had to watch my bestfriend get her epidural and said heck no! is there anything else they can give me??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why not try water? There are many natural options you have for pain-coping, actually.
    (If you're wanting drugs then there are plenty of other side-effects to consider, big needle or not.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I had a pain killer and something to help me sleep for a bit. Don't remember what the names of them were. But it got bad enough that I did get my epidural. I had a really great doc doing it. Didn't feel a thing! I was shocked. I'm afraid of needles too.... hehe
    seraphinalynn

Answer by seraphinalynn at 2:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I'm afraid of needles too but I will be getting an epidural. There ARE other options that they would probably do through an IV including phinnergan, but it is pretty rare that doctors will use these. Phinnergan won't really cause too many bad side effects, but you will probably have a sleepy baby and it will also knock you out. There are more options, but I just knew that one off of the top of my head. I also don't think it's very strong; it is prescribed to me for morning sickness.

If I were you I would just suck it up and get the epidural if you REALLY want pain meds. If you just can't do the epi than talk to your Dr. about other options and look into natural pain-coping options. Take some childbirth classes. They give you a lot of ways to cope with pain. Walking helps. Learn breathing techniques, aromatherapy and massage.

Good luck! I feel for you!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 2:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i'm gonna go w/ur 1st ....don't b a whimp! God gave us the power WE CAN DO IT! read up on the bradley method...i did it no drugs at all good luck
    DM-dreamgirl

Answer by DM-dreamgirl at 2:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i am terrified of needles and i have spina bifida (when you have it the epidural may or may not work) so i though i definately won't be getting one of those..but when labor came around i of course wanted medication and they gave me something through my iv..but once that wore off i thought i'd die so i gave in and got the epi..i didn't feel a thing..the contractions were soo bad that i couldn't ..lol..plus they numb the area first..with my last one i went all natural no pain medi or anything..it was very painful
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 2:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I had lumber punctures (same idea as epidural except it was to inject chemo) every week for several years as a child. My worst fear in child birth was the epidural. (many possible side effects for both mommy and baby). There are many coping methods you can use. My clinic gave me a great book of course I am title blank right now. After 31 hours of coping, I finally did take IV fetanol. It just helped me rest for a couple hours so that I had the energy to push. I was in labor for 50 hours though. Not everyone takes that long. I know many people who have done it completely on their own. A great partner and a positive mindset is most valuable. There's lots of info out there. I would suggest looking up the Bradley method. Good luck. It's a wonderful experience. Whatever you do, don't go into it imagining the worst pain you ever felt because it's nothing like that.
    Jennibug

Answer by Jennibug at 2:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Hypnobirthing! It was VERY cool! Google it!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• There is other stuff, not sure what it was but they gave it to me.. just takes the worse pains.. and only last 30mins to an hour but it will give u time to relax, that u can handle some more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My cousin swore by a drug called Nubain. It can make some people vomit, but she loved it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I will always say that WATER is my miracle labor drug! Lol. I had a 100% natural delivery and the water felt sooo good! It relaxed me so much I went from 5cm to birth in less than 1 hr!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2009