how much water for a 2 year old?

well almost 2 my son is 23 months and he drinks 80+ oz of water a day as well as a few cups of milk and juice. He is in perfect health other wise and eats a ton. But it seems like a lot of liquid and I was wondering how much is too much. Oh and he asks for the water.

Philsgirl21

Asked by Philsgirl21 at 2:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since he's drinking so much water, there is little time for his body to absorb all the nutrients from his food. Most of it is being flushed out by the water. As PP excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes.

"Children need about 1.5 oz. of water per pound of body weight a day, so a 30-lb. toddler would need 20 oz., or 2.5 cups"

I would try slowly cutting back the amount of liquids he is drinking and definitely talk to his pediatrician about that amount of water. Adults typically don't even need that much water.

epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If he asks, give it! There is no harm. We should all be so lucky!
    I don't know how much a normal toddler drinks, because I have never met a normal 2 year old :) lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son drinks soo much too, A family member of mine thought he drank too much, and said i should look into him possibly having diabetes..because that is one of the first symptons/signs. I haven't given it much thought because he has always been like that. but next time he goes to the dr, i think i will ask about it.
    rileygirl

Answer by rileygirl at 2:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• my 3 yr old and my 15 month old drink a lot..my 3 yr old hates water and my 15 mo old only wants milk..lol..so ur lucky..but they are perfectly healty

and there is no such thing as being too hydrated..lol
    WAREIZLILYBUGZ

Answer by WAREIZLILYBUGZ at 2:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009