If your baby has had an MRI or GENERAL ANESTHESIA I am interested in knowing how it all went...

Hi,
My baby is 9 months old. She needs an MRI (with and without contrast) of her pelvis/abdomen and ALSO an MRI (with and without contrast) of her brain. In order to do this I have been told that she will need FULL anesthesia and that she will be under for at least 3 hours! This FREAKS me out! I was told that they will put a tube down her throat and give her meds to "temporarily" paralyze her- and that she will be placed on a ventilator and that they will stop her breathing during certain parts of the MRI in order to (hold her breathe) for the right pictures... (they don't stop her heart though thank god!)

What do you all know about all of this?
She was supposed to have this done yesterday-- but she has a little cough so they are telling me that it will be in 2 weeks.

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 3:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm a pediatric nurse and as a mom I was freaked out by this. My own son had surgery when he was 11 weeks old. Plenty of kids have surgery that young. My son's surgery was in the hospital where I worked and I hand-picked my anesthesiologist. See if you can speak with the anesthesiologist beforehand, to ease your concerns. If they can't tell you which doc it will be, ask to speak to the head of the department, so they can explain anything that you are concerned about. Speaking to the person who delivers the anesthesia can help a lot, in my opinion.
    Everything that you described in your question sounds absolutely like correct procedure to me.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• DS has had to have surgery twice. He did extremely well both times. In our expereince we had someone come in and expain everything to us, asked us if we had an questions and then tried to make DS has comfortable as possible. We also met with the anesthesiologist(sp?) and the doctor before the surgery. They again made sure we didn't have any questions, understood what was going to happen and talked with DS for a few moments to try and make his comfortable. We stayed with him right up until the wheeled him back. After we took him home we spent the day watching all of his favorite shows and eating popsicles. Maybe if you think that you will be nervous when you get to your appointment you could have a list of questions or concerns that you have already put together. I wish you and your family all of the best. I hope that whatever is going on with your daughter is nothing serious and that everything works out fine for you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009