Question About Olive Oil

Can EVOO be used in place of Olive Oil? Some recipes will specifically call for EVOO, others just say olive oil. Can I use EVOO in place of regular olive oil? I would rather not have to stock both in my kitchen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes. Extra is much better.Health wise it has more omega ingredients in it. I swear by it for my health. I pour it in salads , veggies and also brown rice.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 5:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I only use EVOO in cooked foods. I use flax oil in cold dishes, like salads.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• yep all that means is the way the olive oil is processed...evoo is the BEST of any olive oil...and it can be used in substitute of almost ANY oil (even vegetable) EXCEPT when frying or baking.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Yes, you can use EVOO for olive oil and vice versa. I have used olive oil to bake cupcakes and they were amazing, nice and moist.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• you don't want to use EVOO for frying because it smokes too much. not sure what it does for baking cos i always just use veg oil or applesauce (i hardly bake anyway). i keep EVOO and veg oil in the house- EVOO for most everything, and then the veg oil just cos it's cheaper to have than regular olive oil.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• EVOO has a lower heating point, that's why it 'smokes', it's actually burning, so don't use it for sautéing or frying, use regular OO. I use grape seed oil or regular OO for frying/sautéing. EVOO is also lighter than OO and usually used for non-cooking or baking things like salad dressing etc.
    Babs

Answer by Babs at 4:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I use extra virgin for meats, veggies and things, but if you're making cakes or cookies or lighter things that require oil, you should not use olive oil. Canola or veg is better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2009