Christians (ONLY) PLEASE

My friends have asked me to go out and I was wondering what the bible says about drinking alcohol. Are we as Christians allowed to have one drink not get drunk or does the Bible forbid us to consume it at all? please leave me verses to show me from the Bible Thanks Ladies. Thank you Non Christian women in advance for not answering and respecting my wishes

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible condemns drunkeness. If you can drink without getting drunk...If you are feeling convicted against partaking, then don't drink. The issue is not just alcohol consumption, but going where drunkeness,rowdiness, and revelry keeps house:

Romans 13:13,14-- "Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry( noisy partying) and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts."

Gal. 5:20,21--"Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries (that word again) , and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• . THE BIBLE WARNS THAT WINE AND STRONG DRINK IS A MOCKER AND DECEIVES MEN.

“Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise” (Prov. 20:1).

To say that alcoholic beverages can be consumed in moderation sounds reasonable, but very few drunks have ever set out to be a drunk. It is an irrefutable fact that a man that does not drink at all will never get drunk one time and will certainly never become a drunk. I doubt Noah planned to get drunk and to cause so much trouble for his grandson, trouble that has abiding consequences to this day -- but wine is a mocker.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 6:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• 2. THE BIBLE COMMANDS THE BELIEVER NOT TO GIVE OFFENSE IN ANYTHING.

“Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be save” (1 Cor. 10:32-33). It is a fact that many unbelievers think that a believer should not drink. They have higher standards for Christians than some Christians have for themselves. Consider Utah, where even unregenerate Mormons believe it is wrong to drink alcoholic beverages! How would Mormons look upon non-Mormon Christians who drink?

missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 6:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Even the possibility that someone would be offended because of his drinking should be sufficient for the believer to put it out of his life, and that possibility is very great in modern society. Paul was willing to stop eating meat entirely in this present world if he thought someone would be offended and his testimony hurt (1 Cor. 8:13), and eating meat is a perfectly legitimate activity. How much more should a believer be willing to give up alcoholic beverages, which are highly questionable at best and have the potential in themselves to cause harm (which meat does not)!

missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 6:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• 3. THE BIBLE COMMANDS THE BELIEVER TO ABSTAIN FROM ALL APPEARANCE OF EVIL (1 Thess. 5:22).

That is a far reaching exhortation. Alcoholic beverages are a great evil and curse in modern society. Consider the automobile wrecks, the ruined health and early graves, the adulteries, the lewdness, the divorces, the neglected children, the abused wives, the waste of money, the gambling, the blasphemy, the pure foolishness. Look at the beer and liquor ads, how they invariably flaunt sensuality and irresponsibility. In January 2005 the Royal College of Physicians in England warned that Britain is suffering from an epidemic of alcohol-related problems that is fuelling violence and illness throughout the country (The Telegraph, Jan. 3, 2005). The same epidemic is raging throughout the world.

missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 6:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If anything has the appearance of evil today, it is alcoholic beverages, and the Bible does not suggest that we abstain from all appearance of evil; it commands us to do so!
    forgive me for such a long, broken up post. But I am only allowed so many words LOL! These portions are taken from this link: http://www.wayoflife.org/files/01ffc0a5eef0d2b2f3db8b2b9e0edce1-224.html
    I wanted to save you from reading the entire article and just bring out the main points. David Cloud hits this question right on the head I think :-)
    missionarywifey

• wow, ladies. i have nothing more to add.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Wow and I came here to save the day and there are already heros to help! Lol great answers! You can drink but don't get drunk...
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 7:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• THANK YOU LADIES YOU REALLY GAVE ME SOME GREAT WISDOM!!! IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED I WILL LEAVE MY QUESTION OPEN FOR AWHILE IF YOU CAN THINK OF ANYMORE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Agree with Lexylex and remember Jesus' first recorded miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding do. So partying and drinking are not the problem. Lewd & immoral behaviour and drunkness are though (many scriptures). It's as simple as that. Know your own PERSONAL limit (where in all truth you are not at all drunk) and enjoy yourself :0)
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 8:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2009