How do I get my 11 year old to wear the right clothes?

She has habit of picking out one or 2 items she likes and wears them everyday if I let her.
It's a fight to get her to change her clothes everyday.. I am tired of sending her off to school everyday upset at me.

Julie58

Asked by Julie58 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• her body...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would let her wear what she wants as long as it's tasteful and clean...I wouldn't go to the extreme of washing it everyday for her but it's a phase and it will pass...pick you battles, this one is not necessary...worry more about fighting over boys, drugs,and other things.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have almost the same problem w/ my 11 y/o. Every morning it seems like its a battle, when she leaves the house she is upset w/ me. When we went school clothes shopping she picked out all these cute clothes and now she wont wear any of them..I dont know what to do either...maybe its the age
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• as i do agree with jademom07, i went threw this my dd is 12 now. it is a faze BUT girls at school can also be mean ( ur mom has no money thats why u wear the same outfit ) u wore that the other day ewwww. but my dd still loved her "outfit" so i did buy a few new shirts ( walmart for like 3.00, and a new skirt 8.00 also this really nice black slacks with sparkles for like 9.00 ) and i bought a mon thru sunday bin and we sat down together and went threw clothes and mixed and matched things..and put it in the bins. we ate popcorn while we did it and had fun. needless to say one of the "mean" girls wanted to know were she bought her slacks cause she really really liked them..my dd told her and sure enough a week later she had them..its a trying age for us moms. and sorry to say thats not gonna be the end..good luck mama..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• HOW??? You are the mom, you make her do it. Don't give her a choice. I don't care if she throws a major hissy fit. You make her. She is 11 and you are the adult, act like it!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Pick your battles, as long as my daughter is tastefully dressed, that's what matters.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• as long as my child is dressed appropraitely for the weather, clothes are not a battle I choose to pick
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Isnt her happiness more important than people thinking you dress her cute?
    Make sure her clothes she likes are clean.
    Teach her to do her own laundry.
    Take her shopping so she can pick out more that she will like (keep your opinion to yourself so it is stuff SHE loves)
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My parents sent me to school unhappy with them because they wouldn't let me show my belly off, or wear tight shirts. As a 25 year old mother myself, I THANKED my parents for doing that. I know at this moment it really sucks doing the RIGHT thing for your kid(s) but in the long run, I guarantee you she will thank you!!

bugs-momma

Answer by bugs-momma at 10:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• As long as you approve of her clothes, does it really amtter if she wears the same jeans all week?!?! Sooner or later, she will care more about her clothes and you will have other battles on you hands....
    I was having similar issues with my daughter (8yo) and we bought an organizer to hang in her closet. On Sunday, she puts 5 FULL outfits in it....one on each divider...and then she already has her outfits ready for the week. It has helped her to see outside of her favorites and she really enjoys all the mixing and matching all her clothes. --- Then each morning, she picks out which one she wants to wear based on how she feels that day (or the weather). It has really helped a lot.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 10:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2009