what will it feel like when my water break?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's weird. It feels like a pop inside of you. It does not hurt. You may even hear it! (I heard mine). Odds are that labor will already be underway when this happens, it's not like in the movies when a woman is fine, then the water breaks, and then suddenly she's in labor.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I agree with PP. A lot of people believe what they see in movies. But in reality, more than likely your water wont break til way into active labor. But anyway, it doesnt hurt...I didnt feel anything. Just a gush of warm liquid coming out of me.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i didn't hear anything or feel anything, other than the little gush of fluid.

PPs are right that often the water breaks well into labor but in about 10-20% of cases i think, the water does break before active labor begins. that was the case for me. i was more like the movies i guess ;) i was crampy all night (which in hindsight was early labor), then my water broke in the morning, and 2 hours later i was in intense active labor. :)

your health care provider might even break your water during your active labor, but it's not necessary. just another decision you might get to make.

:)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I was in that 10% of PROMs. My water broke and I was not in or going into labor.
    It did not feel like anything at all. Was water was just oozing out of me like a very heavy period all the time. Occasionally, the baby's head would cork it, stopping the gush, but soon I would move and then gush. It never felt like anything at all. Just very wet!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I didn't feel anything but the gush of fluid. Some people report feeling a relief of pressure, but I didn't so much. I was in active labor every time my water broke.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2009