When should I expect breast milk to start coming?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It has been my experience that by the third day after delivery I have more than enough milk to feed a baby. You'll get colostrum before delivery which will be enough to hold your baby over until your milk comes is good. Hope that helps you!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• like pp said. some women start leaking colostrum in the middle of their pregnancies, some late in their pregnancies, some not at all. then the actually milk comes in 2-3 days after birth. the colostrum is super super healthy for baby!!! it is definitely enough to fill them up, and you should supplement because then you might have supply problems. the colostrum is like super concentrated with the nutrients baby needs, and is all they need until the milk comes in. when the milk comes in, some women get really engorged, but i didn't have any problems like that. my mom got kind of sore from engorgement though. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think it's different for everyone, while i was pregnant i could squeeze out colostrum, and as soon as he was born he started nursing really well, and my milk came in heavy probably about the 5th day. those first few weeks are crazy because my body made A LOT of milk, and even now i'm an 'over producer' but in the beginning my boobs were so huge and would get hard because he ate so often. he's now 3 and a half months, eats about every 3 hours... and he sleeps thru the night (yay)
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Its different for all women, with both my babies the milk came in after two days but up to a week is normal. In the first days all the baby needs is colostrum, the stuff is like liquid gold! It has all the good stuff that they need!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• the others are right, it can be different for everyone but generally by the 2nd or 3rd day after the birth your milk will come it, could be less time, could be more BUT your body will be producing whats called Colostrum in the mean time, and it is the PERFECT food for your baby, it is ALL they will need...its nick name among some is Liquid Gold because of its yellowish gold color and beccause its so jammed packed with nutrients for your baby its like "liquid gold".

Please dont be tempted to give formula until your milk fully comes in, just feed your baby and the colostrum will be enough!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• you might leak colostrum before the baby is born , as for breastmilk anywhere from3-7 days after the baby is born. by the way for the first few days of all liove all your baby needs is colustrum . so if you truely plan on bf dont give formula. your baby;s tummy is so small that all he/she needs is the colustrum you make plus is full of good stuff!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• it's different for every woman. some women leak colostrum during pregnancy and some don't. you're body doesn't know to switch it over to milk until after the placenta is delivered. after that, for some women, their milk comes in the next day, and for some not until day 7. i think it really depends on how often your baby nurses. my milk came in on the night of day 2, so about 60 hours after birth. when you get engorged, nursing as much as possible helps w/ that, bc it helps regulate the milk supply. warm/hot showers make it worse, and so does pumping, bc both make you produce more milk. also, you're baby will do just fine on colostrum. some nurses might tell you that you're starving the baby, but your not. their stomachs on only like the size of a tablespoon after birth. and to tell if your baby is getting enough, count diapers. the first of week of life, you only need to change 1 diaper a day, and after that, 6-8 diapers a day
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009