I slapped my 7 year old across the face.

this is the situation. My daughter is 7 going on 21. We recently moved back in with her father. My daughter is a yes mommy child. She doesnt talk back much and she does as she is told. Now that we are living with her daddy she is getting out of control. I am not one to hit my kids bcuz all i need to do is raise my voice and they know i mean business. My daughter has been messing around at homework time and she just doesnt care about school. I am NOT Ok with this. I told her several times to do her homework. she went to her room to do her homework and i told her to finish it and not mess around. I walk past her room and she is flashing the lights on and off and NOT doing her homework.. so I smacked her right across her face. Now my feeling on this is that..I'd rather smack her one good time that she will remember then to spank her 100 times. My spanking is a joke to her. I guess it doesnt hurt.( Running out of space!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• (continued)....
    I think a homework area is a good idea-- maybe someplace quiet with very little distraction. It would also be a good idea to have a routine-- like get home, have a snack, do homework, watch tv... that way they know ahead of time homework has to be done and no fun till it is done. I know if I don't remind my boys of our house rule to do the homework when they get home my 2nd son will go play, and then at bedtime suddenly 'remember' he has homework...
    I hope all works out-- good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Um, I would say that this is bad parenting...there are ways to get your point across without resorting to violence...there is a difference between spanking and slapping someone across the face. It shows a lack of authority and control on your part. How about taking the homework out of her room where she is out of sight and can goof off...why not put it on the kitchen table where she can't get up until it's done?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• A smack across the face is unacceptable for a 7 year old and for not doing homework? Pathetic. You were out of line, you need to apologize to her for being a bitch. You are setting a bad example by resorting to violence. Great job, mom. I agree with jademom, make her do it in front of you therefore she cannot mess around while doing homework with you right there watching her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I'm nominating you for mommy of the year as we speak. Your "spanking" is a joke to her because you probably spank her far too often.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:11 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• first of all--- i hope previous posts aren't making you feel absolutely horrible... you're not a horrible mother, i can see where you're coming from. i do agree with having her do the homework where you can pretty much supervise and get her back on track if she gets distracted, i do agree with that. but as far as the slap, i wasn't there so i can't tell whether it was justified, but i was raised with being spanked and decked, lol... not abused, and i turned out good... i just dont think time out cut it, and sometimes you have to show them who is boss. i hope things start to improve with her behavior
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I do have her do it at the table and she says she needs complete silence. I actually NEVER spank them. I usually dont have too. I know that it seems horrible what I did but she is going to do her homework. I am not going to allow my child to huff and puff and talk back to me. Whining and falling on the floor?? NOT OK. She will take her school work seriously. I get compliments on how well behaved my children are and how I did a good job. I have 5 children and in public and at school they are well behaved and at home I am respected. My daughter thinks becuz she is around her daddy she can wine??!! NO i don't think so. I will not accept or allow her to cry to get her way. I know that I will NOT need to smack her again. She hasnt given me any shit since that day. Actually yesturday she cleaned the kitchen up. She is a good girl i'm not going to allow her to act up and wine and NOT care about school. School is important.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i agree with 1st time mom23..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Now you have let your daughter know that hitting is an acceptable way to solve problems.

Our dining room table is the homework area. It has the computer with internet, a dictionary, calculator, pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, erasers, colored pencils, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I don't think hitting kids makes then think they can use violence to solve things. That's crap. I got my butt whipped when i was a kid and I hardly hit my kids or am violent. Children are no dummies they know you cant go around hitting people and if your kid is hitting people then he is a brat and you need to spank his ass!! My kids NEVER get in trouble. My 11 year old asked me what makes you go to the principal. 11 and he has never even been on warning. I know that I am doing it right. I don't have a homework area. I am going to make one though.. thanks for that suggestion. That may help. I want my kids to be respectful school modivated children. When i call my children they dont say WHAT they say yes mommy. I would rather smack her one good time then have to keep yelling at her or saying i'm going to do something. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but i assure you I am NO BAD MOTHER!! lol I just don't take any shit!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have spanked two kids of my three, slapped in the face two of my three (different combo of kids) and most effective ended up being removal of privileges permanently for bad bad behavior and adding additional removal of privl. on top of original removal, for continued bad bad b. and very poor behavior.

I leearned that for them to hear in words from me that they were right I could not at times physically force them to do something or act a certain way but at the same time I did not owe them the fantastic items given because they'd behaved alright to fantastic. Keeping my word to remove an item or a place to go after told yes by me has been the absolute most effective punishment of all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2009