Does it seem more acceptable to claim that raising boys is easier than vice versa?

Ok this is probably a silly question, but I've noticed that a lot of moms will claim that raising boys is easier than raising girls. I don't hear moms say that as much regarding girls. The obvious explanation of course is that raising boys IS easier, but I can't help but wonder if maybe it is more unacceptable for moms of girls to say the same thing? It seems to me when I hear moms of boys say how happy they are to have boys no one seems to mind, but the the few times I've heard moms of girls say the same it seems to cause a certain tenseness from boy moms. Please don't bash, it's just a vibe I've picked up on from my playgroup, I'm just wondering if it's a real, wide-spread sentiment or something I'm making more out of than is really there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• If raising a boy is easier I sure as hell don't want to have a girl.. My son has been a complete handful since the day he was born!

But no, I have never noticed what you are describing so it must just be something within your playgroup. Some think it's easier to have boys others think it's easier to have girls. IMO you can't really judge which is easier unless you have both but I see alot of moms with only boys saying boys are easier and then moms with all girls saying girls are easier and vice versa.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have a girl and don't have half the problems my sister has with her son. I think it really comes down to the child rather than the gender anyway. In my case raising a girl is easier than a boy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I hope not. I have 2 girls and 1 coming in January, all under 4 years old. I think both have easier ways in different aspects, like I've heard it's easier to potty train girls but boys are apparently more laid back, which is probably true because my 3 year old and almost 1 year old are both drama queens!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have one son and two daughters, my inlaws had six sons, my grandparents had six children two sons and four daughters, i had one brother. My youngest daughter (teen) is very mildly mildly tomboyin a feminine way - my on is all sports for years (now an adult) yet he is extremely compassionate and caring. He has even played in adult leagues. If I could clone his personality (along with his looks!!!) I could be a very very rich mom.

The child decides themselves how rough or gentle they'll be and hard to raise - my middle very soft spoken and shy, maybe middle child syndrome. But attention was never any less focused ever on her compared to my other two.

I don't know why people think 1 sex is any easier than another -a tantrum is a tantrum those come even in teen years let me tell you!!!! Two teens and a preteen having temper tantrums all at once mixed sexes isn't a pretty or handsome sight to the eyes or ears!

Nurture!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:20 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I really haven't gotten that vibe from friends, though I do have some friends who really were relived to have kids of a certain gender. I have a boy and two girls... in my family my boy was WAY harder than my girls! However I don't think it's gender as much as personality... my two girls are pretty laid back and my son is anything but!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Well so far my girl has been a lot easier, and my mom always thought girls were easier too. I have heard a lot of people say boys are easier too, especially as they get older because girls are so "emotional" I've never gotten the impression that mom's of girls can't say they think girls are easier though. I know one family that has 6 boys and no girls and they seem kind of defensive sometimes because they've gotten so many comments from strangers about "what a handful" they must all be and stuff.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have a 7 yr old dd and she is really a joy and easy IMO. My sister in law has 2 boys and constatly says she is soooo happy she has boys blah blah...yes I know what you are saying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I've been told that it changes with age. Right now my son and daughter are pretty evenly matched. The thing is that he's 4.5 and she's closing in on 2. My son was *much* more difficult than my daughter at her age. I'm told that the teenage years will reverse that and my son is likely to be my easy child and my daughter will make me crazy. I assume its generally said that boys are easier because teenage problems are much more difficult to resolve than toddler/preschooler ones. When my son is naughty he goes to his room- he may be ticked about it but 10 minutes later he's all loves and cuddles. That said, how about if we ever catch our daughter smoking in her teen years? How much longer will that fight last? How much more difficult will resolution be? While I'm hoping for good relatively easy teens the issues teens face are much more challenging than little kids.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 10:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• The problems and issues you have raising boys and girls are different. As boys and girls are different. In general girls are easier behaivorwise as children than boys are. They are easier to manage; however, girls are more expensive and you have to worry about them more as they get older. Boys generally have charm about them and are always using it to lie and manipulate their way through things so that they can get away with more and often find the consequences to be worth it. Girls are more likely to have an attitude and be disrespectful as they get older. These things are not always true, but from my observations, these some of the main obstacles you can face with either gender.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have 1 boy and 4 girls and I'm basically the only one of my friends that has a boy (poor kid, luckily a bunch of boys have moved onto our block for him to play with).
    For me, personally, my son is a breeze to deal with compared to my girls, especially my oldest. But I'm sure that has more to do with personality then him being a boy. Or maybe it has to do with him being the only boy with 3 sisters. They kind of feed off of each other and I see the younger 2 adapting the oldest's bad behavior while he tries to distance himself from all of it.
    We also haven't gotten to the teen years yet. They are 9, 8 (the boy), 7 and 3 1/2.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2009