help with my kid please

my son is 20 months and he is attached to me constantly. Its because his father is in the army so he is gone alot so jack clings to me. He sleepsin his own room. The only problem is he wont go to sleep on his own, Ihave to be there holding his hand and it takes 10 min to an hour. I wont him to go to sleep on his own help please

armywife2009101

Asked by armywife2009101 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what about giving him a childrens flashlight to occ. him? so sooner or later he will just fall asleep. my son age 3 1/2 will only go right to bed at 8pm IF he dosent nap during the day..if he naps hes up till 930 whining..no nap hes a sleep by 810pm. good luck mama.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I do keep a lamp on until my son goes to sleep too. First he has his story. What I did was I started out beside him. Did that for a few nights, then I moved and sat by his bed but not with him. Did that for a few nights. Then I told him I would check on him in a few minutes that I needed to start some laundry or wash some dishes and I would come and pop in every little bit. It also helped when I moved his bed so he could look out of the door. I didnt ever think I would get it done, but I dont have any problems now. Sometimes he may lay there for an hour or more, but as long as he is in his bed and quiet - he can take all the time he needs.
    aussiesma

Answer by aussiesma at 9:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• well, I had to let my son CIO or he'd never go to sleep and I would be at his bedside for 2 days - i've tried holding his hand, talking to him, rubbing his back etc.. the minute I stop he yells MOMMY - around 21 months I think I started talking to him and telling him exactly what's going on - we have a great nighttime routine, after we are done with his books, I tell him Ok, you are going to sleep in your big white bed ( crib) now and you have your blue blanket in there, your favorite puppy, your stuffed beaver oh and look, your new pillow too and in the morning mommy will be here to come and get you and we will make pancakes and you can help - it really helped actually. he used to cry himself to sleep for 45 minutes, now he doesn't! goes to bed almost instantly iif nothing else is bothering him like beign sick or teething.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2009