Is it a more difficult transition going from 0-1 child or 1-2 children?

Banannies

Asked by Banannies at 9:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hmmmmm- good question! I thought both were challenging- from 0 to 1 because it's such a major shift in the focus of your life, plus in my case neither dh not I had the slightest clue about babies! From 1-2 children it was the multitasking that was hard- suddenly instead of being able to focus on one child your attention has to divide and you have to manage two at the same time. Going from 2-3 was actually really easy for us- I felt like after having two, having three was more of the same. The biggest issue I had with three was just how many kids I had to get into coats, mittens, and boots every single time we had to go out!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Definitely 1-2 for me because in my case I went from having one to having three.Its a lot harder to get used to than one.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• For us, it was 0-1 because we were used to having freedom to go where we wanted when we wanted to go, all that changed when we had a baby. When we went from 1-2, nobody in our family wanted to watch two children at the same time, so we had even more trouble going where we wanted to go when we wanted lol.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• For us it was 0-1. Had no issues going from 2-3
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• 0-1 for sure. EVERYTHING is a learning experience lol. going from 1-2 has been a different set of challenges but I know at least half of everything I needed to know already. I hear going from 2- more is a breeze though.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My husband says 0-1. I never really had a hard time transitioning either time.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think it really depends on the parents. It wasn't that hard for us to go from 0-1, even though we were a little young (we were in our senior year of college when DD was born). We're making the jump from 1-2 in May, and we're already involving the big sister with this new baby, and I really don't think it will be that hard for us. We'll get used to the no sleeping and then it will pass, so even that's not that big of an issue.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:55 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• For me, the biggest and hardest transition was going from 0-1. Adding more kids to the family after that was a transition each time, but not nearly on the same level as the transition I went through from being not a mom to being a mom. My whole life got turned upside down. Adding number 2, 3, etc didn't turn every thing on its head like that.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• definately 0-1....going from 1-2 was waaaaayyyy easier! maybe its because my second baby is very laid back so it made transition really easy.
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• 0-1 for me. Going from 1-2 was way easier because you already know what to expect, you already have a routine, and a lot of the time, if the kids are close in age, once the baby gets like 6-8 months old, the older one will spend time entertaining them, which in turn gives you some free time from entertaining the older one! My boys are 20 months apart, and my DD is 5 years younger than my middle son (he's 10, she's 5). For me, having my boys so close together was so much easier than having just my oldest son because by the time my youngest son was 6 months old and learning to crawl and stand, the older one was busy all day entertaining him and playing with him. Freed up a lot of time for me to get stuff done.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2009