When/ How should I get rid on the binky(pacifier)?

My daughter is 14 months and is OBSESSED with that thing!?
I took her bottle away at exactly one year, hassle free. But she loves that dumb binky! When and how should I take it away or get her to not care about it?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could wait until she's ready to give it up...they never go to college with them! Or, you could try cutting the tips off of them (all of them) and telling her they broke. Most kids will continue to chew on them and mouth them for a few days and then just give them up completely. Good Luck..
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son is 14 months and I can't get it away either. I just take it when we go out and he has it for nap and bed. Just hide them and give it to her when you are going to need it. If it's out of his site its out of his mind but he LOVES IT. Try to just leave it in her crib so she knows if she wants it she has to be in the crib. Good luck. I know i should take Julians away but i'm not. He loves it and it makes him happy and i dont care what all the "good parents" say about my big baby and his bink!!
    good luck
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My dd is 2 and still has a binkie, but only for bed. She's no longer allowed to take it out of her crib. I would just slowly take it away. Lessen the amount of time he's allowed to have his binkie and hopefully it will eventually go away
    lilrie1980

Answer by lilrie1980 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I'd gradually wean her from it and then give it to the "binky fairy" after she turns two or so.

I'd start by telling her binky has to stay in the bed and use it only for naps, bedtime and severe meltdowns, then eventually just for naps and bedtime. Then when she is older, have her put in a envelope and mail it to the "binky fairy" who in turn leaves a special toy/gift for her the next day for being such a good, big girl.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I am also trying to get rid of that thing too for my 13 month old. She doesn't suck on the pacifer all day but mostly at certain times, in the car, at nap and bed time, and when she is not feeling good. Rather than take it away all together I have been working at it slowly. I don't let her have it in the car anymore, but any other time right now is okay. We are still working on this and the car ride in the morning is hell lol. She used to holler most the ride, but not as much anymore. Soon I am only going to let her have it when she is sleeping. I think if I gradually take it, it will be better. I don't know how true that is. Only time with tell. I do know that taking that pacifer away is going to be hard for both of you, but it not last forever
    lilcarly

Answer by lilcarly at 2:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I took it away cold turkey. She was only using it at bed time, nap time, and in the car if we were going to be in it for longer than a half hour or so...I actually had to take it away 2 times...The first time she had it gone for a week. She cried for it for the first 2 or 3 nights and then after that she was fine.Then, My fiances mom gave it back to her..She was i think 15- or 18 months the first time.The 2nd time @ 23mo, we were in the car and when we got out to go in my moms work, i took it and i looked at it before giving it back when we got back in the car, there was holes on the sides...so i got another one out of my purse...same thing...another..same thing...all in the same spots.. and its not from chewing. its just from her teeth rubbing.Well that moment, i told her they were all gone. I told myself when i ran out they were going away. Told her they were broke and for babies..All gone since. No crying or asking for it!
    kirasmommy7

Answer by kirasmommy7 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2009