Why have a 7 year old walk home alone without adult supervision?

http://celebrifi.com/gossip/Body-Of-Missing-Florida-Girl-Found-In-Georgia-Landfill-Sick-Sad-World-PHOTO-1922075.html

In this day and age this is something you can't do!!! To leave her to walk a mile back home is unthinkable! It makes me so sad to know it could have been prevented.

Asked by older at 10:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It is so sad. I remember growing up in the 80's it was totally acceptable to walk to and from school alone, ride bikes to your friend's houses alone and go bike riding with them unsupervised, go for walks in the woods without adult supervision, etc.

It's so terrible what this world has come to. Kids get kidnapped in their own frontyards these days if not being watched closely. I wish that little girl's parents would've walked with her, she'd sitll be alive!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have walked home alone since I was 6. It's not any worse out there now, we just have 24 hour news channels that need to fill airtime and scare the pants off of people. There are bad people everywhere. They have been there all along. Besides, she wasn't alone, she was supposed to be walking with her twin brother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I live on base and i let my 7 year old today and yesturday walk with her brother 11) to the bus stop. I can see it from my house but i still feel its not ok. she really likes going with him. He gets on his bus 10 minutes before hers comes. She stands with all the other kids but.. i'm not there. I'm not going to let her do it anymore. So I would agree that 7 is to young. You never know what could happen even if other kids are there.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 10:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Anon, I have to disagree on not being worse these days, you are also correct in saying that there are bad people everywhere, for that same exact reason children shouldn't be sitting ducks. What her 7 year old twin was suppose to be a deterrant?

Answer by older at 10:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I got the latest of this on my cell this morning :( ..children should be able to walk home from school and play outside their homes ..I am so tired of hearing stories like this..anyone who harms a child like this should be hog tied and drug for miles...that little girl was precious..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:10 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Safety in numbers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• tn, I agree, but why expose them to danger? I still think 7 is too young to be walking a mile home from school.

Answer by older at 10:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Well older it isn't the ruote id take with any of my own kids esp considering their school is about 14 miles away theyd not be too happy with that lol..but just saying it breaks the heart how our children cannot even be children to the degree some of us were able to be years back..I also think it has gotten worse too like you said..sure the media reports more now but I still think there has been an increase over the last few decades.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• tn, I know, I don't even want to turn on the news anymore, every day or so there is a child missing or an adult for that matter, it is really depressing!

Answer by older at 10:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• lovingangels deleted mine too!

Answer by older at 10:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2009