Is it ethical for an elected official, who people have donated thousands of dollars to based on their promise to represent them, to resign midterm for a better position in the private sector?

Phase3

Asked by Phase3 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I dunno, I don't think I'd I'd say ethical or not. That doesn't strike me as an ethical issue unless it did involve his or her ethics. But, I guess if that is the sole reason they resigned then I say it's not right.
    If there are extenuating circumstances then I think yes it could be ok. There are many elected officials who really need to step down if the city or state are not being serviced in teh way it should for whatever reason.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Ask Sexy Sarah
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Sounds like a personal decision to me. If I want to quit my job for a better one, it's my decision. Not all people can be bought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• There are many officials who I wish WOULD step down. In the city I lived in, we had many elected officials who wouldn't step down even while being investigated or prosecuted. Heck, they even got reelected while being investigated or prosecuted! Most only resigned after they were proven guilty; hard to do a job from jail, I guess.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:53 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If they are not able/willing to commit themselves to do their job for the people who voted for them 100%, then they should drop out so a more committed and able person can do the job. There is NO money back guarantee in politics. LOL..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think it is unethical. It's not just leaving a job for a better one, because you took an oath to represent people, and you are reneging on that oath.

However, if the public official resigns for that reason, the represented are probably better off without them. They are already showing they don't take their oath seriously, if they give it any consideration at all. And that they are motivated by money more than anything. Not that I think all politicians are mostly motivated by a burning desire to serve. I don't. But at least try and work towards it, make an effort.

The politician who bails for more money in the private sector - probably more worthless than most of them, and good riddance.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 11:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think unless there is a serious mitigating circumstance you should finish out your term.
    SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Please correct me if I am wrong, but the money doesn't go with them, does it? I mean, they have to account for all of the money they collect and keep records on what is spent and where it is spent.

I don't think it's unethical to resign, but I do think it's unethical to keep a position just for the money without providing representation. Now if we could work on getting those types out we might actually get somewhere.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• She is a quitter. Its a good thing she did quit if that is the way she conducts her life. I'm not surprised-it is always all about her. @@
    Anonymous

• Perfectly said Quinn
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2009