How can I get my 2 1/2 year old to sleep later?

Ever since we moved our 2 1/2 year old into his big boy bed, he wakes up at 5:30 am or even earlier (like 4 am.) He used to sleep great and wake up in a good mood. I try to put him back to bed and tell him it's still nighttime, but he never goes back to sleep. In addition, he wakes up his baby sister every time and NO ONE goes back to sleep. I wind up getting really frustrated with him b/c everyone is tired and when naptime comes around, no one will sleep. Any thoughts?

moregreen

Asked by moregreen at 10:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when you find out PLEASE tell me, my son used to wake at 6 and I thought that was early, now its 5 and sometimes 4 like you said and there is NO getting him back to sleep and he's even yawning within 30 minutes,.. no reason for him to wake and no matter what time he goes to bed, he awkes this early,. he will be 2 in 2 weeks...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Same story... she's almost 2 1/2 and the only days she sleeps in are days that her little sister has already woken up super early... so we're up no matter what. Haven't found a thing that works. Some are just early risers. We did start putting the girls to bed an hour earlier and that seemed to help just a little -- they still usually wake us up by 6 or so, but they're getting an hour more of sleep than they were and we're having an extra hour of alone time or sleep time, whichever we choose. We used to have lights out around 8:30, now it's 7:30. We just switched over one day, and they kept a similar wake up time. You have to think.. they can't wake up EARLIER than 4!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2009