How can I get my 4 month old son to stop crying?

ok, so my 4 month old son just started this crying thing about 2 weeks ago. At first u thought there was something wrong with him but there isnt. He might be teething but he doesnt cry when i'm holding him, but literally, the second i put him down he starts screaming like someone is hurting him. He was never like this, i've tried feeding him, burping him, changing him, his swing, playing w/him and NOTHING! i'm at my wits end already, i hardly get any sleep and its starting to affect my marriage. i really dont know what to do. i love my son with all my heart and soul but im losing it here. plus we also have a 5 yr old daughter who is so naughty. my husband hardly helps me with the kids, the second the baby starts crying he hands him to me and goes outside. i just really need some advice please, im desperate!

RodeoMom87

Asked by RodeoMom87 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try giving him some milicon drops or gripe water. They both help with gassiness and fussiness. Have you tried putting him on his tummy? Sometimes that helps to relieve the gas pressure that burping can't quite get out. i went through this with my daughter (now she's 5 months) and the milicon and tummy time helped her. When she just wants to fuss, I hold her and turn the sink on. The sound of water soothes her and helps her fall asleep. Try to stay as relaxed as possible because babies pick up on your mood. If you're tense, he'll sense that and that will upset him more. Just take deep breaths and know that this is only a temporary phase. It will get better I promise!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Run the vacume cleaner often. I know it sounds stupid but the sound of it relaxes them. I hope it works for you. Also, is he gassy? that could be a reason for it also. Good Luck:)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son did the same thing at that age, I agree with PP use milicon drops they worked wonders for my son. But as far as wanting to be held constantly, my son didn't stop that until 6 months old when he started crawling.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son did this too. I used Mylicon and gripe water, the latter seemed to work the best. I had to get it in a health food store back then but now it's available in WalMart and just about every grocery store I've ever gone to. He might also be so bored that he can't move yet that he cries. You might try setting him on the floor on his tummy so he can start getting prepared to crawl.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• With new babies, lack of sleep should be expected, if your husband doesn't help out with the kids, maybe it's not the baby that's affecting your marriage, my best advice would be to try out a carrier or a sling, that way the baby is close to you but you can still move around and keep up with your 5 year old, also, try to get the 5 year old involved (like getting you a diaper etc) so she'll have less time to be naughty.
    Anonymous