If your boss added more duties to your job and no raise...would you ask for a raise?

If so, how would you put it to him that more money would be nice! My dh is getting more responsibilites to his job and is not sure if they are going to give him a raise. We are not sure what or how to ask for more money.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Not in this economy. Just be glad you have a job. Don't push it. There are plenty of people who wouldn't mind the extra work. When things stabilize more, you can ask.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:04 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• ditto on mompam
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:09 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• If you ask, you could be looking for another job! I agree with mompam.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Ordinarily, I'd say if it was a major responsibility shift, yes. But as the others have said, in this economy, it's too risky. I'd say take the extra responsibility, and when things stabilize, go to the boss and point out how well you've done with the new responsibilities and then ask for a raise.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I would ask for a raise or an extra week's vacation or the option to telecommute part time.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I agree with mompam. Once he has more time in with the new responsibilities it will be a benefit to his resume. Then when the economy picks up some, he might be able to ask for that raise and if he doesn't get it or even worse, is sent packing....he will have additional job tasks and responsibilities listed on his resume to get his foot in the door at the next job.
    Anonymous

• Added responsibilities does not have to equate to added income. I NEVER assumed that it would for me. When you have a job, you do the job you are given. I never once asked for a raise or promotion, yet I was the one getting them. Why? Because they knew I could be trusted, I did my job well and without asking for more... It's a give and take. What you do comes back and those that do their job well will be recognised...

Anonymous