How old was your son when he was allowed to ride his bike to school?

We live about a 15 minute walk/bike ride from school. At what age do youtink it is appropriate to let him ride his bike to school without me following him... There are kids everywhere in the morning riding their bikes to school and he wants to also!

sukinova

Asked by sukinova at 1:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just let my son ride this year and he is ten. I was really nervous about it, but he did really well. A few times I waited 2 minutes, then drove to see what he was doing - he rode straight to school!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• We live 2 blocks from school, both my kids ride their bike. My oldest one was 9 and the other was 6. I let them go and stand their and watch to be sure they are going. At first, I used to go to the school and make sure they made it.
    L.R.I.Ma

Answer by L.R.I.Ma at 3:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2008