Is it safe to sleep on your back?

I'm 9 months preggo and I heard it's not safe!!

XandersMaMa118

Asked by XandersMaMa118 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope left side only. Something about blood flow....
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i have heard its not... i dont knwo. i miss sleeping on my tummy tho. haha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I did it once and my back was killing me from all the weight. They say its best to sleep on your left side during pregnancy because theres better blood flow to the baby, but at 9 months I'd say do whatever you can to get some sleep:)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I've had three kids never heard that before at all. I did have to lay on my left side when I was starting toxemia, it drained my kidneys and helped bring my blood pressure down.

Since you're not sure, call your doctor and ask for a Doctor callback on this.

Congratulations!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• NO!! IT PREVENTS BLODD FLOW TO THE PLACETA. LEFT SIDE ONLY
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Alot of people think all different things about this and dr's have differing opinions. My MW has always told me that my body will tell me if something is not right and that I should sleep however I am comfortable. I'm 28wks and still sleeping on my belly (but that won't be physically possible soon).
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Lying on your back causes your uterus to put pressure on the main artery that runs behind it and which brings blood back to your heart from your lower body, including the uterus. If that happens, it could cut off the baby's oxygen supply. However, generally speaking, any major damage is preceded by a good deal of discomfort (I know I couldn't stand lying on my back that late in pregnancy). Lying on your left side increases blood flow to its maximum, but lying on your right side is fine, too. And your uterus just has to be tilted a little to keep from crushing that artery, so lying on your back with a small pillow wedged under one hip works very well, and you still get the feeling of lying on your back.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I agree with dragonrider. almost everything that my doctor has told me, as well as what I have read in the books, says that left side is best, but not your only option. and i still sleep on my tummy now and again, i just put my body pillow under one shoulder and hip to take the pressure off my belly. let me tell you, it feels great! and the pillow under my hip when I lay on my back is great, too. personally I don't do it often because of where my baby girl likes to hang out it puts pressure on that blood vessel and I wind up with a killer headache if i do it for more than a few minutes. but hey, at this point, 28 weeks, I will do anything to get comfortable and I have a feeling it isn't going to get any easier!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I usually try to fall asleep on my left side... but I've woken up on my back, right and belly before. Never makes me feel any different.
    seraphinalynn

Answer by seraphinalynn at 6:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2009