What are some meal/snack ideas for a picky toddler?

my son is 19 months old and doesnt want to eat many things. running out of ideas to give him, right now he is living off of pancakes and fruit and milk and juice. (tried cuttin gback on milk juice and that didnt work either.

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mac n cheese, or those campbell soups with that are shaped like different disney characters, my daughter eats those when i let her pick them out. I also make meatloaf in the shape of a star or fish and make a hat for it out of mashed potato..... silly I know, but little things like that work for me :) Good Luck!!
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• chicken nuggets, hot dogs, grilled cheese? he like any of those?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I can so relate, pasta and sauce sometimes is consumed by my picky toddler in addition to the things you mentioned. I've heard smoothies with veggies blended in work for some moms. We also give him peanut butter.

I admit though, I try not to give him too many options, other than what the family is eating. I've read toddlers have to be exposed to foods over 8 or more times before they'll eat them. And I am trying to teach him, you eat what the family eats So I just keep trying.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Quesadillas -- 2 tortillas grilled in a pan with tortilla with shredded low-fat cheese and low-fat refried beans, cut with pizza cutter into triangles. They're not messy and they're really quick to make. I haven't met a toddler who doesn't like them. Good source of calcium and protein. We use the whole grain tortillas. You can also add pre-cooked chicken or whatever else.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My daughter love spaghetti w/ elbow noodles, toast w/ apple jelly cut up into small peices, meatloaf and mashed pototes. It seems like the messier the food the move she loves it. Elbow noodles are my fac because they are the perfect size for her and you can put any kind of sause on them to make them good
    lilcarly

Answer by lilcarly at 2:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son is REALLY into mashed potatoes right now. Like as in he wont eat a meal without them... So we have started mixing things in them. We add carrots, meat, cheese, almost anything can be mixed with good 'ol mashed potatoes. I'd try that and see if that works for your little one. Good Luck!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• At 19 months, he needs 20-25 oz of whole milk a day, but only 4-5 oz juice. So I wouldn't cut back on milk unless he is getting a lot more than that.

Have you tried egg and cheese breakfast burritos?
    Whole wheat Toast with a thin spread of PB, or cheese
    Fruit with yogurt dip or cottage cheese
    Veggies with light ranch dip
    crackers and cheese or PB
    string cheese
    scrambled egg or hard boiled egg
    fruit smoothies (fruit, yogurt and ice pureed in a blender)
    deli meat and cheese and crackers
    Mini pizza
    Bagels with cream cheese
    Penne pasta (easier for babies to pick up)
    Sweet potato fries --you can buy them frozen and bake them
    baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon/sugar, or baked plain potato with cheese
    green beans and carrots (canned)
    muffins
    pretzels

Introduce new foods by putting something new and fun-looking on his plate with his faves. It'll take more than
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2009