what is the best brand of hair color for african-american women?

i want to dye my hair for the first time but i'm afarid that it will not turn out right some i'm just trying to get some pointers....

jayglv

Asked by jayglv at 7:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• For first time dyers I would get it done by a professional. All the store brand suggest you get it dont the first time in a salon.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2008

• Did you just want to color , or lighten ? There is a big difference. But I do agree with vbruno, you should have it done professionally and make sure it is someone who is experienced in ethnic hair. If you wanted to lighten they will have to use some kind of bleach wich is very harsh on anyones hair. However, colorgraphics lighteners are much more delicate than others like v-light , or chi lighteners. No matter what they do , never let them put chi lighteners on your hair unless they are highly educated with the chi line, this stuff will burn your hair off. Oh, also, colorgraphics has a toner in it already , so it cuts down on one of the processes, (less damage).
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 8:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2008

• IF I WAS YOU I 'LL GO TO THE SHOP AND LET SOMEONE THERE DO MY HAIR. BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO GET IT BLEACH 1st. ANND THE ADD THE COLOR
    Lady525

Answer by Lady525 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2008

• You can always just go with a dark color just to see how your hair takes to it. I bye my dye at Wal-Mart and love it of course it's jet black. So just start with a dark color until you feel comfortable doing it and it's very easy. Or if you don't want to do your own hair at all then of course go to a salon but as parent's we are on a pretty tight budget so I definetly recommend doing it yourself to save, save, save!!!!
    MsMum24

Answer by MsMum24 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2008

• I am an African American. I own and operate my own Hair Line. I would recommend also going to a professional but African American women and men should stay way from ammonia because it strips the little bit of moisture we have in our hair out.

We have several products on our line: October Organics.

Come by and check us out.

www.octoberorganics.com

If you have any more questions.
    OctoberOrganics

Answer by OctoberOrganics at 10:28 PM on Sep. 5, 2008

• I have used Dark and Lovely color as well as Clairol color for my hair. If you use Clairol, you would have to purchase a lighter color than you desired on yr. hair to get the shade that you want.

With Dark and Lovely, I've found that the color match is pretty good.

Hope this helps!
    NeosoulSister

Answer by NeosoulSister at 11:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• being a hair stylist myself..i really would advise that you seek professional help with coloring your hair. its really dangerous using box colors on our hair because of the minerals and metals that are in box color..they can destroy our hair permanently...professional color is the way to go..and if it says professional on the box....its not professional...
    miss_chelle35

Answer by miss_chelle35 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2009