Is this normal 7 year old behavior?

My dd is 7 and has been acting so strange.
She has always been a wonderful kid, very easy to get along with. She rarely needed to be punished and always did what she was supposed to before being asked. She has always been polite and kind to others.
Since the start of 2nd grade she has been a total brat. All of her best friends from last year are in her class, there is not a child in her class that she doesn't get along with. She adores her teacher. Her dad and I have both asked her and she has no complaints about her life.
She has been talking back, being flat out rude, and cries over every little punishment (we don't spank either). Not doing her homework, or her chores. She will do some, but never finish. The most common words out of her mouth are "I don't know". She is also VERY obnoxous (sp?), wanders off in stores and such, I have to tell her 5 times to do anything.
Is this normal behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like something happened that caused her to change and she's not telling you about it.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think it's fairly normal. My son is 8, but he's behaved much like you describe for about the past year and a half or so. Now, he does have ADHD, but I've heard of some of my friends kids doing it too, and they don't have it. If you are concerned, you can always talk to her ped, but I think it's pretty normal.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Something is not right, she might be being teased or something. I would definitly look into it. I have 4 kids and 2 are over 7 and my 3rd daughter will be 7 oct. 26
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• My son is doing the same thing. They are becoming big kids and are testing their boundries. My son at 4 did this and is doing it again now. We have changed our parenting strategy and the new methods of discipline are working. Time outs didn't work anymore but writing lines has worked. It also has improved his handwriting too.lol If he is rude he has to write " I will not be rude to my parents" 25 times. If he is rude again he writes it 50 times. He has only written it 50 times once. He hates homework and this year homework was ramped up quiet a bit. He has daily math sheets, spelling words and a reading assignment. I stopped forcing the issue and on days he does not do his work the teacher will make him write lines during all three recesses. He rarely has an issue after losing three recesses. We are letting him suffer the consequences of his actions or inactions. It is tough but it will get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• although it may be normal, it's not acceptable. Either she's learning this behavior from peers, or somethings happened to cause this behavior. Either way i would get the the bottom of it and correct it, otherwise it will continue and get worse, than it might affect her school performance and her relationships with peers.

My 7yr. old (boy) every once in while will "test" behaviors he learns from peers, but we nip it in the bud immediately, and it's never been a problem like this.

My friends dd acted the way your dd does, when she was 6. She thinks it's normal and doesn't do anything about it. Her dd is 7 now and in 2nd grade, and it's gotten out of control. She's rude, snotty, mean, and has started bullying too. I don't allow her to play with my son anymore.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Sometimes kids are being bullied, and don't know where to turn.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Her behavior is normal. Ignore the attitude and move on. Don't react to the rudeness, just send her to her room with instructions to come out when she is ready to behave appropriately. She needs to understand that respect is something that is nonnegotiable.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think it's normal. My daughter is doing the same thing. It's driving us crazy. She has gone from my polite little helper to a smart mouthed know it all. *sigh* After talking with other parents I found out they were going through similar issues. I don't think it's something that we can over look though. Back talk and being generally a pain is not tolerated. Good luck and hopefully with a little work are sweet girls will come back to us.
    Webeff

Answer by Webeff at 5:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I hope it s normal behavior maybe she changed kids as they get older change in attitrude. some don't ,some very little ,some somewhat, and some make a tremandous change out of the blue. or maybe she has become friends with someone or kids with that kind of attitude and she thought it was funny and does the same.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• wow I have a 7yr he is a very good kid and I have notice him doing some of the same things.I just tried to stay on him, I think they are getting older and smarter so they have that attidude. We have stopped him from watching any teenage shows .Good luck
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 24, 2009