What's up with tv lately?

Had to sit through commercials last night (usually tivo), but every single show, there was the actors from that show, or others shows making comments about volunteering.
What's up with all the "volunteer" statements made by the actors during commercial breaks on tv lately?

while i'm all for volunteering, communtiy, and recycling (i do it), I don't need it shoved down my throat when i'm trying to relax and just watch some tv.

Where exactly is all this coming from? It's bombarding the television/media. Hearing it a couple times is fine, but before and after each/every comercial is a bit much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have been trying to read all these replies.. I am just going cross eyed by all the racist accusations! No one said Volunteering is bad. No one said they shouldn't encourage volunteering. But, when was the last time you saw Madonna serving soup to the homeless? When was the last time you saw Britney Spears help clean up a beach? Why would ANYONE want to "do" as a Celeb says that doesn't practice what they preach? I can name ONE Celeb that I have seen and would tell my child to look up to and that is Beyonce. She does a lot of charity work. The POINT is NO ONE likes being told what to do by a bunch of hypocrites! Would you take marriage advice from a cheater? Would you want a lecture on why it is important not to steal by a thief? Nope.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Apparently it will continue until the week is through..its part of this admins idea of trying to get people involved volunteering
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Meh. I volunteer when and where my heart tells me to. I don't let celebrities, including our deluded President, tell me how to volunteer any more than I let them tell me how to vote.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• Yeah me either..and volunteering has been a part of my family for years now
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• op...same here, i volunteer, recycle, and so on. I teach my kids to not beleive everything they see/hear on tv, especially from actors, b/c that's what they're doing...acting.

I just didn't know where all this was coming from all of a sudden. Is it from Obama? Why? Do they really think people are that influenced by media and actors? (Gosh, i hope people aren't!?!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• To me it just seems more and more evident everyday, that there are some women who do nothing but sit online and listen to Fox News, as they report it, the women type it up. You guys are like little polly parrots, and going anonymous does nothing to hide your identity.We cannot prove who you are, but it is so obvious by your racist undertones, your continual hate for Obama, it's just not sublime anymore. It's like a daily job with some of you, log on at 7am, read the Heritage Foundation, Glenn Beck and Dick Morris, copy and paste, and then answer your own anonymous questions to show vindication of same. Why do you do this? Boredom, You like to hear yourselves talk? Your used to only hearing yourselves talk? I don't get it, it's so obvious how you post, when you post, and what you post and the recurrent same sources. It's as old as the lint in your bellybuttons ladies. Old.
    Anonymous

• LOL Haven't you heard? It's Obama ideas take over the airwaves week.
    I've seen a few inferences to volunteering and a couple of actors/actresses telling you to go to the new volunteer website but nothing big. Easy to miss. I think many people skip over the commercials anyway. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I am a "cold hearted" conservative. I have been volunteering for years my very conservative Christian family and friends have always done this even when we didn't have much. My mil and many of my husbands relatives are "compassionate" liberals. They never give to charity and they don't volunteer feel it is beneath them. So I find it amusing when Obama and other liberals try to get on the volunteer and giving band wagon. Conservatives tend to volunteer and give more than Liberals and we do it without the begging of our party leaders we do it because it is the right thing. We don't expect government, media or celebrites to tell us to do this very common sense thing to do. Obama gives less to charity and he made millions off his book we made 120k. So those who are touting giving and volunteering need to practice what they preach.

Anonymous

• but it is so obvious by your racist undertones, your continual hate for Obama, it's just not sublime anymore.

Again with the race baiting. For some of you it all comes down to that, doesn't it? This is why I don't even pay attention anymore when someone calls someone a racist as it usually is someone crying wolf.

As for the volunteer thing, I don't really pay that much attention, nor do I watch that much TV. I haven't noticed the volunteer subject injected into programming. I am not really that bothered by it though. If people want to volunteer they either do, or already volunteer. Those that don't volunteer aren't likely to start because they saw it on a TV show.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• above: Don't be mad because educated people don't like Obama.
    Anonymous