what can I do????? Please I need your advice...

I think I turned my 7 month old dd into a brat! She was sick for a lil over a week so I gave her extra very special attention, ya know... coddled her so to say.... poor thing couldn't even breathe out her nose.... now she's feeling better and crying n whining whenever she doesn't get her way and it's taking about an hour and a half to nurse her and caress her to sleep at night whereas, before she was sick she would get nursed and put down still awake and fall alseep on her own.... my husband says I turned her into a spoiled brat... however, some say you can't spoil a baby! which is it? and whaT do i do to reverse this behavior? she used to be a content baby.... (also, she is teething, think she'll go back to normal when it's all over? i dunno... it's her 4th tooth and she never acted like this before)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell hubby to take care of her when she's sick. Because, it'll give you a break plus it will give him hard and fast learning in childcare to understand what a spoiled brat really is. Routine is important when sick and when healthy. Keep up a routine of winding down in the evening and late afternoon too to not get her all wired up from too much running around of errands or play.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I had a similar issue with my 7-month-old daughter. She was sick with ear infections and then a cold for like 2-3 weeks. It was just like one thing after another, so of course we both showered her with attention and let her sleep in our bed. But after she was done being sick, it was back to her crib. I'm not a fan of "crying it out" so I would let her fall asleep with us and put her in her crib when she was sounds asleep. We also identified the fake cry of hers. Whenever she does it, I make silly faces at her or silly sounds that I know will make her laugh. Rather than ignoring her completely, I just try to take her mind off of the fake cry. It's worked 100%, and she's back to her normal self. My hubby does the same. He doesn't ignore, just try to take her mind off of it.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:47 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I have a 7 month old also. I think it is just a phase. He also takes screaming,crying,kicking fits when he doesn't get his way. He has never went to sleep once in his life that he wasn't being held(other than naps in the car seat) I always have to hold him for at least an hour, sometimes 2 or 3 to get him to go to sleep at night. I've always rocked him to sleep but the older he gets, the more he fights it and the longer it takes, I guess I have spoiled him and most of these things are probably my fault. But I think at this age they are supposed to be spoiled brats. They will only be babies once and sometime real soon we will want to hold them and they wont let us and we will think back to these days and smile. I know right now I am sleep deprived and my house is no where near as clean as I like it to be, but it too shall pass...Good Luck Momma.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I fully believe you can spoil a baby. When my daughter is sick I also pay her more attention. I used to let her sleep with me, I'd rock her to sleep and hold her most the day. Then when I tried to stop she would do the same thing. I had to give her some tough love. I had to just put her in her crib and let her figure out how to put herself to sleep. And oh boy was that heartbreaking. I would sit on the other side of the door and cry because I felt horrible for letting her cry. People would tell me all the time, crying won't hurt them blah blah blah, but in my mind it was killing us both. Now that we are though it and she goes right to be I see what they were saying and it was worth it. Try to be strong and stick to your choices whatever you decide. Just think of the long run when you are having trouble with it. You all with make it though even though at the moment it doesn't seem that way. Good luck!
    lilcarly

Answer by lilcarly at 1:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I think u can spoil a baby my daughter was spoiled still is sometimes when she dosnt get her way she throws a fit but as far as going to sleep on her own I never had a rocking chair didnt have room for one so she always went to sleep on her own I never have problems with her. Im glad with the way im raising my daughter. try and let her cry for like 5 or 10 min and if she continues to cry then I would go and get her but if she is really tired it will take her about 5 min to fall asleep.
    Anonymous

• You CANNOT spoil a baby and she is 100% normal. She was just sick. She's not over it yet.

Saying you can spoil a baby as you did is like saying having sex with your husband more than once a decade is spoiling him.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2009