Is it normal to gain a couple of pounds right at the beginning of pregnancy? Did you?

I'm just 5 weeks pregnant and have gained like 3 lbs. So I have really just been pregnant for 3 weeks, and known for 1. I know there are normal variations in weight anyway but I'm wondering if it's normal to gain 3 lbs immediately from bloating or retaining water or anything like that...?

I haven't really been eating too much more, and have actually been eating healthier. I have been trying to eat more protein since I usually don't eat much of that. and trying for more veggies and fruits.

i'm overweight so I don't want to gain too much like I did with my first pregnancy. thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never had morning sickness so I started gaining right from the get! A lot of women get morning sickness and in return actually lose weight at first! but I gained most of my pregnancy weight in the begining.... then I kind of tappered off for a while then gain another almost 8-10 bs at the very end... don't worry sounds like you are doing great by eating healthy and everything... I always recommend to keep up an exercise routine also, including walking, very light weight training, and squats...... good luck and congratulations!
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• i gained 20 lbs my firsdt trimester...i was like a hoover, so hungry all the time. 2nd trimester gained only 3 lbs and the rest at the end. dont fret, your baby wants you to gain weight in the beginning.
    GMCilu

Answer by GMCilu at 11:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2009

• OP
    thanks ladies. i'm not going to stress about it too much but i gained 40 lbs during my first pregnancy and now i know i should not do that since i already am very overweight. i hope i can keep it around 20 lbs gained this time.
    Anonymous

• OP, oh and i gained that 40 after losing a couple at the beginning, so i lost a couple, then gained like 42 lbs in my 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
    Anonymous

• i gained five pounds before 9 weeks, then lost it when sickness started. i wasn't eating much more i think i was bloated.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 5:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2009

• I gained 10lbs my first 6 weeks. I was underweight when I got pregnant. I gained a total of 60 pounds by the day I gave birth.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 12:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2009